Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

MakeItSo

Advice on small APO to piggyback on my CPC

Posted (edited)

Hello All, 

I have a quick question. I am thinking (very loosely) about the possibility of a small APO for wide field views to piggyback on my CPC 1100. I am interested in recommendations. At the moment I am not planning on AP. 

I can see that there is a huge range in prices and to be honest I am looking for something thats reasonably decent quality (circa £500 - having no experience with APOs I really don't have a sense as to whether thats quite enough or not really enough). I had looked at the Orion Carbon Fibre 80mm f/6 APO Triplet but its just a bit too much money. 

Please advise...

And many thanks. 

Edited by MakeItSo

For visual only carbon is a useless expense, and a triplet is not necessary either, especially for wide fields, you'll stick to lower powers most of the time so a doublet in an aluminum tube is okay. The 80mm f/7 doublet with FPL-51 glass will fill your bill. Teleskop Service and other brands sell it, there's no need to be "loyal" to a brand, the scopes are the same, but maybe some cosmetic details that you like will be present on one and not the others.

Then there's the Sky-Watcher doublet with the slightly better FPL-53 glass, not expensive and in stock at First Light Optics, that one is sure to not disappoint. One difference worth mentioning is focal length, and thus, tube length. That is something to watch for when piggybacking a scope, as well as weight and balance.

Speaking of weight, the eyepiece that will provide the widest views you're after can be very heavy (790g for my 34mm/68° Maxvision) or rather lightweight (330g for my 30mm/68° Aero Sky-Watcher). So, plan ahead how much field you want, and how much the eyepiece/diagonal/finder/mounting rings will weigh.

Many thanks Ben.

Yep - my widest is a 41mm Panoptic. Weight is certainly a consideration. 

Was desperate to go out observing tonight but as each minute ticks on, my app is showing increasingly poor conditions...

Any more advice folks....

Posted (edited)

Was also looking at the Explore Scientific 80mm and the Willliams Optics ZS.

Any opinions?

Edited by MakeItSo