Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CdC and Telescope Alignment

Starwiz

What I do is have all the index files in one folder, but copy into a second folder the ones that are appropriate for my fov. This second folder is the one to which I direct the platesolving program, so it only uses those files. You can do it by moving rather than copying - this saves disk space, but I (more than once!) ended up deleting the files and had to download them again. Got fed up with playing that game.

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

What I do is have all the index files in one folder, but copy into a second folder the ones that are appropriate for my fov. This second folder is the one to which I direct the platesolving program, so it only uses those files. You can do it by moving rather than copying - this saves disk space, but I (more than once!) ended up deleting the files and had to download them again. Got fed up with playing that game.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.

I suspect I've already got it configured for my FOV as when I downloaded the index files, it gave me the option of only downloading those applicable to my camera/scope setup.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it is worth this is what I do.

1. Polar align using polar scope.

2. Refine the polar alignment with Sharp Cap Pro.

3. Go to the object of interestin and platesolve, it will not be in the FOV (it will be a few degrees off).  The using the tools available, APT/Sharpcap and I am sure other refine the positioning automatically.  For example in Sharpcap there is the option to platesolve, sync and goto.  This will then add a point into the pointing model, then move the scope to the requested coordinates.

4. Done.

As you observe more objects the pointing will get better but why expend time upfront aligning when platesolve and APT/Sharpcap and others will get you to the objects of interest. 

9 minutes ago, Ricker said:

For what it is worth this is what I do.

1. Polar align using polar scope.

2. Refine the polar alignment with Sharp Cap Pro.

3. Go to the object of interestin and platesolve, it will not be in the FOV (it will be a few degrees off).  The using the tools available, APT/Sharpcap and I am sure other refine the positioning automatically.  For example in Sharpcap there is the option to platesolve, sync and goto.  This will then add a point into the pointing model, then move the scope to the requested coordinates.

4. Done.

As you observe more objects the pointing will get better but why expend time upfront aligning when platesolve and APT/Sharpcap and others will get you to the objects of interest. 

Thanks.

I got it working.  I decided to use the drift alignment tool in PHD2 as although I can see Polaris from my terrace, it means assembling the scope too close to a wall for comfort.

Once aligned, I use CdC to slew to the chosen target, then do a platesolve, sync and goto using the APT Point Craft tool, which platesolves again when it reaches the object.

Very similar to the process you've described, but using APT instead of Sharpcap.

John

• 1 year later...
On 14/06/2019 at 12:15, Ouroboros said:

What hassle? It takes a few minutes to sync the mount to the stars. I usually do it before it's properly dark just as the brightest stars like Vega, Arcturus etc are coming out. 

How can I find the procedure for plate solving to align the selected bright star?

3 hours ago, Gbarr56 said:

How can I find the procedure for plate solving to align the selected bright star?

It depends what software you’re using. I now use my Mac to control my mount and cameras. My control software Is the KStars planetarium application with ekos and INDI.  After using the polar alignment routine I slew to the object I’m interested in, ask the software to plate solve and sync the mount.  It will keep doing this iteratively until it’s acceptably close to the target.