Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone used a 70ed on a star adventurer?

Hi

im looking to buy a 700d to us on a star adventurer and I was wondering has anyone used the 70ed and if so what are the results like and what would be the limits of the scope?

thanks 

I used a TS Photoline 72ED on a Star Adventurer last year when we were on holiday.  It wasn't really the right time for deep sky imaging because full moon was right in the middle of the holiday, but the mount seemed quite happy carrying that and my 450D.

James

I’ve used a 72ed on a star adventurer- it works fine! Only problem I had was the tripod really was overloaded but my 72ed + star adventurer plus nice big heq5 tripod is now my travel companion:)

• Like 1

Yes, I don't think it's a good idea to overlook the tripod.  Because we were travelling by plane I bought one with carbon fibre legs in three expanding sections, but I think I left them collapsed when I was using it.

James

Aha!  Here we are.  72ED, 450D, ASI 174MM (I think) and Canon 200mm lens all on top of the SA.  Tripod with one set of leg sections extended.  I didn't want to carry a 1kg lump of steel, so improvised counterweights :)  This was  the night before the eclipse I believe, so I was getting some practice in.

spacer.png

James

• Thanks 1

I believe there are other SGL users who have the Skywatcher 72ED on the Star Adventurer.  I don't know if they guide or not.

I think the tripod should be ok.  Mine looks a lot like a cheap clone of that one, though it does have a handy little hook on the bottom of the main stem that allows you to add some weight to further stabilise it.  Perhaps the Manfrotto does too, but it doesn't show up in the photos.

James

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

I believe there are other SGL users who have the Skywatcher 72ED on the Star Adventurer.  I don't know if they guide or not.

I think the tripod should be ok.  Mine looks a lot like a cheap clone of that one, though it does have a handy little hook on the bottom of the main stem that allows you to add some weight to further stabilise it.  Perhaps the Manfrotto does too, but it doesn't show up in the photos.

James

I suspect that the Manfrotto is from the same factory as our tripods and that the quality is about the same. The ballhead is identical to that supplied with the other brands, including the quick release plate, which is not a normal Manfrotto one. The element series are also not listed as made in Italy, like the rest of the Manfrotto options. The usual hook is visible in the images on the official Manfrotto site. However, the Manfrotto linked above is one with 4 locks/5 leg sections, by going with another brand you can get 3 locks/4 sections which should be more stable when extended.

1 hour ago, 6footgeek said:

More evidence for your idea - my tripod struggled but it’s just a clone of better quality ones like the one you linked.

but the mount + scope combo definitely works :)

F4A79209-4AAC-4191-920A-6D33AE5B4163.jpeg

Thanks for the image looks like a nice set up, do you guide with it? I’ll probab get the scope down the line after I get used with the camera and mount first 

Edited by Olli

53 minutes ago, Olli said:

Thanks for the image looks like a nice set up, do you guide with it? I’ll probab get the scope down the line after I get used with the camera and mount first 

I haven’t guided with that setup yet no, I bought a heq5 and added the 72ed with guiding to that as I was struggling to find objects whilst keeping polar aligned with the setup I had. That isn’t so much a problem when on DSLR with a wide lens, but I struggled once the 72ed was on, mostly because here in Birmingham there are only about 8 (slight exaggeration here) stars from which to work out where your object is 😂

That being said the star adventurer is absolutely brilliant, I won’t sell mine - I learnt how to take correct exposures and calibration frames and everything from that setup and It was brilliant. As it happens to be a perfectly capable mount for times where I don’t want to drag a power supply and 20 cables / a laptop etc out into the night I see the value it creates, especially as a gateway mount if you have the bug and know you are likely heading down into the bigger mount category later as funds / experience allows.

I think the beauty comes from its capable simplicity on that front.

• Thanks 1