SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi Everybody

TCSC47

I have been interested in astronomy all my life but have not got deeply into it. I had a terrific 30 x 40 telescope when a lad in the 1950's and lived in an area with clear skies and decent climate. My most enduring memory was observing a clear picture of Saturn and its rings. Sadly when we returned to the UK my telescope "disappeared" somewhere on the journey.  I have bought a couple of telescopes for my kids as they grew up but they were not much more than toys. A few years ago I was given a Jessops TA900-114EQ which, as I don't know any better, works quite well for me. I have seen the belts on Jupiter and the Red Spot but have not done much else with it. Here in the UK Midlands we live under quite a bit of atmospheric and light pollution and viewing conditions have only looked good  when it has been brutally cold.  What I need to do is take the telescope on holiday with me to one of the Dark Sky places in the UK.

I have always wanted to build a telescope, but with so many other things on my "To do before it is too late" list, I don't think that is going to happen.

Anyway, Cheers everybody.

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to a great forum.
It is never too late to do something which has always appealed, until they nail the box shut over your head! 🤪

Go on, you know you want to, make your own telescope. Just nudge something else further down the list. :smile:

• Like 1

Hi, TCSC, and welcome to SGL.

Don't worry. You have come to the right place to learn how utterly inadequate the jessops scope is. We'll soon have you spending a small fortune for something you didn't even know you needed :biggrin:

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to SGL. You've made your Astronomy a lot more interesting by joining this multi forum.  We have a very large, and very knowledgeable population here, and to  quote one of our esteemed  Admin Team, "We are truly an International Forum". Indeed, we do have members from all around our planet, and we are very pleased about that.   

If  you need any help or assistance, just ask away, you'll get many responses.

The main thing is, to enjoy your stay here.

Best Wishes

Ron.

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Where I am, in fairly unpolluted light free skies

Currently have Jupiter rising just after sunset, and overhead just after midnight 

The attached pic captured around 6am, the other morning, with Venus between high-rises, Brisbane CBD 

John

Venus over CBD at dawn.jpg