Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
acr_astro

Pastel sketch of H alpha solar disc with filaments

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

the prominences of the previous days on limb of the sun now are visible as filaments on the solar disc itself. Lacking amazing prominences on the limb, I hsve been concentrating on sketching the filaments this time. Compared with my previous sketches they moved from the right towards the middle. Note that my sketches are usually left-right-flipped due to the telescope's mirror.

So here's the result:

20190607_Sun_H_alpha_filaments_small.JPG.7465850c664e4a67fe8b9ae87a98d526.JPG

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: June 7th, 2019 / 1000-1030 CEST
Technique: reddish and black Koh-i-Noor soft pastels and pastel pens on light-grey Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
Size: 24x31cm

Clear and sunny skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 6

Hi all,

thanks for the great feedback and the likes!

Clear skies!

Achim

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MimasDeathStar
      I heard the sun wasn't very active at the moment. Is it still active when you look through H-Alpha? (I don't really understand the difference!)
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      now the summer heat seems to be gone. It's still sunny but not that hot anymore. Perfect weather for sketching for the H alpha sun:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-Cel 10mm
      Date & Time: August 30th, 2019 / 1230-1300 CEST
      Technique: reddish Koh-i-Noor Toison d'Or pastels and pastel pens on yellowish Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Clear and sunny skies!
      Achim
    • By Mandy D
      I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
      Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html
      Thanks
      Mandy

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      today once again, I did a charcoal sketch of our star bringing us 33°C before lunch time. The solar "north pole" is approximately at the prominence at the top of the sketch. The sketch is right-left flipped. Beside the orientation of the north pole, I figured out on the internet that the bright spot in the left area of the sketch is AR12745. The disc and parts of the prominences is done with natural charcoal. The filament and the dark areas of the prominences are done with the charcoal pen.

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: July 23rd, 2019 / 1130-1200 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal and Koh-i-Nor charcoal pen on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Size: 24x31cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.