Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Tanks

Hi

Quick question, with goto etc, does anyone use a car booster pack (with relevant 12v, USB etc sockets) instead of the branded power tanks?

Cheers😀

Edited by Portech7
Additional info added

Yes

Portable

Runs a EQ mount for a week at astrofests

Mine has dual 12V outlets, as well as dual USB

Also have extension 3port 12V adaptor

Runs guiding scope and ZWO camera

Attached pic taken at recent club solar viewing day

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

jump start pack.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just picked up a jump-starter 12V 17Ah battery as my Skywatcher Powerbank stopped working - left it uncharged for too long! 

Instead of making the mistake of buying another one for £100-odd, got one of these - https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

Can get the exact same one online from eBay for £40 instead of £50.

Abdulrahman Alhasso

• Like 1

if you have the funds, you could go for a LiFePo battery to replace the failed 17Ah lead acid. much lighter and the 10Ah LiFePo will perform about the same as the 17Ah Pb battery. Downside tho is cost, at around 4x the price of the Pb battery tho will likely have a much better service life and doesn't have the same sulfating issue the old lead tech suffers from. I understand they perform better on hi load discharge too where the lead tech tends to buckle the plates. Was considering this for the UPSs but at the time needed 6 pairs and that would've cost me a fortune when I was at no income but was lucky to land a batch of new 17Ah SLA for £9 each 🙂

• Like 1