Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M20

Rodd

Here's the second half of my rare night of clear skies.  At 12:30 I had to retire (work is not fun without sleep).  But I could not squander  such conditions.  Despite the low position in the south, I could see all of the scorpions tail--a very rare occurrence indeed for me.  M20 was close behind, so I found it and left the rig running while I slept.  The problem with this method is FWHM tends to creep up as the night progresses--probably due to focus shift.  But the low position in the sky accounted for some--my initial FWHM values were 0.75 arcsec/pix higher than they were for M13--and focus was solid.  My temperature compensation model is not perfect--so by 4:00 FWHM had crept up to nearly 4.  Despite the less than stellar FWHM (no pun anticipated--but intended none the less) I  used nearly all the subs up until about 3:30 for this stack.  There is only a slightly noticeable difference between the stack of 9 and the stack of 29--but a little goes a long way.  But I guess its not too bad for a color channel--red

TOA 130 with ASI 1600

Red: 29 300 sec

Image33-Blenda.thumb.jpg.7c3fd8a50fca38bf5838e7b0c0b5bda4.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Very nice. I'm hoping to have a go at some of the Sgr nebulae this year (if I ever get a clear sky of an available night!).

Thanks DP.  Its a tough area for me--never higher than about 35 degrees, and even when its clear its usually in New Haven's light dome.  Late night is best-from highest elevation toward the west.  I hope to be able to finish it (and supplant some of this data with tighter data!)

Rodd

37 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

35 degrees ... I wish! 17-18 here. 

Wow--that's bad.  That's about where I start.  I can't imagine starting lower and having 17-18 be the highest.  That sure makes collecting 20 hours of data a challenge!

Rodd