SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problems with Stellarium

Hello SGL,

Tonight I uploaded Stellarium 0.19 version, every time I try to open it it seems to crash after coming up with a warning (picture below), could somebody explain this statement to me in simple English (if possible please?) and how i can over come it.  I have tried it in  32 and 64 bit version but have same problem.

Thank you for looking.

Peter

Stellarium.JPG

I recently loaded Stellarium on a couple of laptops for club members. The first installation (Win 10) worked  but would not show any stars. Constellation lines yes and DSO's but no stars. Deleted and reinstalled and it worked ok.

The second on a windows 7 machine would not run and had to load an earlier version.

Hi Peter,

That's not quite so simple to answer I am afraid as it is determined by the motherboard setup you have in your computer... I.E. what processor type you have and which graphics chip set is fitted.

What you need to do is find the latest graphics driver for your chipset.

If you go to the link I gave you and scroll down a short way you will see a heading 'Downloading OpenGL'

Just below this you will see references for 'AMD/ATI', 'Intel' and 'NVidia'... these relate to the processor types and graphics sets on various computers.

If you click on the type for your processor/graphics set then just follow the paths for each type to get to the required driver.

E.G. If your computer is an 'Intel' based system then click on that in the list.

A new window will open and you will see at the top a link to allow the software to locate the required driver/s for your computer.

Alternatively, if you know what graphics devices your computer has, on the same window you can select the 'Graphics Drivers' tab and a second new window will open... scroll down the list and look for the one that matches your chipset... or click the link at the top of this new window and let it find it for you.

There is a similar setup under the 'AMD/ATI' selection.

The NVidia tab also opens a new window, however, for this you need to know the details of the Graphics Card you have running and enter it's type etc on the selection list.

It is not really dependent on your operating system and it will run correctly under 'Windows 7' once you locate and install the required drivers.

I run 'Windows 7 x 64 bit' on an 'Intel' based computer with an 'NVidia Geforce 9600GT graphics card and 'Stellarium 0.19' works perfectly.

The majority of the latest Graphics Drivers, regardless of manufacturer, also incorporate the OpenGL functions.

I hope you can locate and install the correct driver for your system and get 'Stellarium 0.19' working for you.

Best regards

EDIT... I would suggest that you back up your whole computer drive before doing any updates and also you may find it is necessary to uninstall 'Stellarium' and then reinstall it after updating your graphics drivers.

Edited by Lonestar70
Added item.

Hi, Peter,

I too have a Windows7 computer.  I had version 18.3 running happily, so (as I still had the installer for 18.3 so could go back if necessary) installed 19.0,  and it also runs ok.  So as above it looks like a problem with your graphics driver. 

I've given myself some work to do though! I have numerous 'nebulae' images of my own (57) in the distributed program.  But there are 33 more which I had added in 18.3 but aren't in 19.0, so I'll have to add them individually.  Not as hard as it sounds - I have the original file from 18.3, so it's just a matter of copy and paste.

Best of luck with your graphics driver.

Cheers

Peter.

Thank you the comments folks and the long answer to my problem Sandy.  As you might guess I am not that great with computer software but will go thru your suggestions one step at a time and see what happens, will report back later.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2019 at 11:53, S.A.M said:

Thank you the comments folks and the long answer to my problem Sandy.  As you might guess I am not that great with computer software but will go thru your suggestions one step at a time and see what happens, will report back later.

Peter

Have you tried selecting Stellarium (angle mode) from the Stellarium start menu.

Seriously, computers and software. I might just stick with an eye piece and do some sketching. On the other hand, computer wrangling does give someone something to do when the skies have been this bad for two months.

Turned monstrostly hot all of a sudden but a blanket of high thin white overcast. So still no viewing!!! Back to the pc I guess.