Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Budget Camera

Canon 40D - self modified to full spectrum sensitivity. Plenty on E-bay <£100.

43512722205_048eb62da6_o.jpg

NGC7000 taken with GSO 8" F4 Newtonian telescope, 0.7x ASA Keller coma corrector/reducer, modifed Canon 40D full spectrum camera @ ISO1000. Stack of nine images totaling 38 minutes of exposure

• 1 year later...
On 05/06/2019 at 06:58, Portech7 said:

Hi All

I'm sure this is a very popular topic, so please excuse me for asking again if it is 🙂

I'm really wanting to start getting into astrophotography and I am unsure what type of camera is best to go for. I have around £100 to work with which I know isn't much in the whole scheme of things but its what I have. I might be able to stretch to a little more if its worth the extra. I have a standard digital camera which I've managed to take reasonably good images of the moon (mounted to eyepiece), but I'd like something which is a bit more all purpose, so reasonable deep sky and also planetary, if possible, if not at least good planetary. I'm also in the process of reading 'Making Every Photon Count' to gain further knowledge but I thought I'd ask advice too.

I'd also prefer something which doesn't require a masters degree to understand 🙂 

I've heard good things about Celestrons Neximage and ZWOs etc for planetary. Maybe I should start here to gain experience, then expand into deep sky imaging as I progress and learn.

I'm probably asking too much with the budget and my lack of experience, but any advice welcomed 🙂 

My scope is a SW Explorer 150P on an EQ3-2 mount. I have installed an auto focuser (found this to be a great upgrade for observing, to help limit vibration), will be getting tracking motors too. It may not be the most elaborate set-up, but I've had great planetary views and some awe inspiring deep sky views with it, so it would be good to see what I can photograph (If possible).

Which auto focuser do you have ?