Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX10 For a bit of light visual.

I realised yesterday that after almost 18 months of imaging I haven’t actually looked through a telescope 

My 65mm is a bit awkwardly mounted to be useful so wanted something i could quickly put together and use whilst the imaging rig does its thang.

I found an LX10 ending soon on eBay, it was local, a few hours later it’s in the garden. Which leads me to my questions:

the previous owner said you can get a computer handset for it. I have looked into a bit more and it seems this would be the Magellan 1 unit with additional encoders. Rather than hens teeth. Are there any other 3rd party devices I can integrate with the scope to achieve push to or relay position info to Cartes/Stellarium?

would Baader Hyperion lenses suit this scope? I only have the cheapest lenses right now.

C38B21B8-A197-4F6B-B737-AE39B98D7827.jpeg.314ac5a8d8418c451950fe5b0f2fd463.jpeg

Edited by upahill
  • Like 1

This was my first proper scope,cracking optics and fairly easy to handle.Yes you can use the Magellan,but hard to find,and dont know of any other.The f10 is very forgiven on eyepieces so the Baader will be good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Very DIY, but dave eks made a board you hook up to US Digital encoders on each axis, I think you used a Palm or Compaq Pocket PC..? 

https://eksfiles.net/digital-setting-circles/

Michael 

Thanks for that, I may have to have a go at some stage. Part of me wants to learn my way around better without adding any sort of push to - but then I get out there look up and I’m lost lol

this project looks like it should give me the basics and help me learn where I’m pointing at least as well as find some of the harder stuff

If I'm right the Dec axis works on a tangential arc so you can only drive it with motors by a small distance and it really needs to be moved into the rough direction of an object by slewing manually so you will never really be able to make it goto.

2 hours ago, haitch said:

If I'm right the Dec axis works on a tangential arc so you can only drive it with motors by a small distance and it really needs to be moved into the rough direction of an object by slewing manually so you will never really be able to make it goto

There's no way to make it GoTo, the Meade Magelan and the Eks only make it Push To.

You declutch the Dec and move it to the required Dec reading, then reclutch and finetune.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Well thats the Magellan installed ;)

Thanks again to @michael8554 for spotting it and ENS for speedy delivery again.

Easier than I thought although I havent done an alignment/test yet - just the mechanical installation.

It actually took longer to find imperial alan keys than perform the install 😁

s-l1600.jpg.fbc588ca0b57982748f1eabfb2ac095a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceramus said:

I've had an LX10 for 20 years now and still use it. Great scope. Pity the Magellan 1 on offer at Telescope house does not fit it, I don't know of other alternatives.

Wow thats quite pricey for the kit, I paid £100 and I thought I was paying a lot! They do seem very rare, but have come up ocassionally, even just as the fork mount when someone converts to EQ.

If this one hadn't come up I was looking at some of the Audiostar supported forks as a potential upgrade path.

Im really enjoying the LX10 - need to improve my eyepieces as I really think they are letting down the side now. Will also be putting it on the outside pier I think once the imaging rig is in the obsy.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I have an LX10 with Magellan 1 system that I've recently acquired and I did not get the cable to connect the handheld unit to the control board.

Does anyone know the pinout, or have one that they could create a pinout matrix?

Thx