SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Myriad 100deg "Dob Cruiser"

I've long fancied a 20, 21/100 EP, especially for scanning the sky with the Dob - x64, 1.57deg of field, and a decent exit pupil (4mm).  The TV and ES versions are very costly; the Meade 5000 seems not well thought of; so that just left the Skywatcher (OVL) Myriad, similar to the WO XWA and the Lunt HDC, but they are apparently discontinued.

Fortunately, I managed to source a Myriad (thanks to Zoltan at 365 Astronomy), and it's just arrived.  At 848g it is less weighty than I expected, and is now my second heaviest - the slightly shorter and wider ES 30/82 coming top at just under the kilogram.

So I have my first MWA eyepiece.  I'd like to think the collection is now complete.......!  I am keen to try it out - report to follow.

Doug.

P1070077.JPG

• Like 6

Good choice Doug :smiley:

The 20mm was my favourite of the Myriads that I've used.

During galaxy hunting sessions I've often found that the 21mm Ethos stays in the focusser of my 12 inch dob practically all the time - the 20/21mm / 100 degree format is ideally suited to dobsonian "cruising" as you say.

• Like 2

Doug I have the 20mm Myriad which is brilliant in my 12" Dob. I orginally had the 21mm Ethos but I sold all my 100 degree EPs which I regretted in the end. 

I must admit that thinking back at the views of the Ethos I don't believe there is much difference which is why I am happy to continue with my 20mm Myriad.

I look forward to your review.

• Like 3

When you read comments from experienced observers that the £180 Myriad 100 20mm offers practically the same performance as the £750 21mm Ethos it makes you wonder who is buying the Ethos new ?

And why the one review posted against the Myriad 20mm on FLO's website is rather negative :icon_scratch:

I've used the Myriad 20 and compared it with my Ethos 21 so I know what I think :smiley:

• Like 1

I have the 3.5mm, the 5mm and the 9mm Myriads, and they're all excellent. The 13mm is mysteriously not available, and the 20mm I didn't buy because it never went below my personal limit of 200€ for an eyepiece; I'm checking 365astro's website regularly just in case. In my 300/1500 dob it would give the maximal field with a 4mm exit pupil, almost as bright as a 5mm but shows less of the natural astigmatism of the eye with large exit pupils. Somewhat darker background, too.

I've got the 3.5, and 5  Myriads and the 13mm APM  Lunt 100 deg which  I believe is the same as the Myriads and am very impressed with all 3

I sold my 13mm Ethos to help fund the 3 eyepieces and ended up pretty much getting 2 for the Ethos and only having to dig into my own money for the third. Don't regret the decision for a minute 

Edited by GazOC
  • Like 2

Can't comment on the 20mm but I have the 3.5mm which I picked up on ABS for a price which would have been rude to walk away from. The 110 deg field is very well-corrected to the edge, but, having compared the two side by side, it is rather spanked by the TV 3.5 equivalent on contrast. On the moon the shadow areas are dark grey as opposed to black. You still get the spacewalk experience, just with the tiniest bit of mist on the porthole...but for the money they're great. I haven't felt the need to upgrade and I am a TV fan

Edited by rl
  • Like 2

Ive got the full set of Myriads now. Havent used them a lot but they were too good not to snap up at £166 each. I will get the APM Lunt 13mm version as well and I hear they are bringing out a 7mm which was meant to come out early this year but no sign yet. 

• Like 1

Judging from the following that these eyepieces are gathering, I might have to try a Myriad before heading back down the Delos route. After all, everyone loves a wide wide view!😁

Paul

8 hours ago, MSammon said:

I hear they are bringing out a 7mm which was meant to come out early this year but no sign yet. 

That would be great news if they do. I was thinking I needed a higher mag EP and I felt that a 5mm or 5.5mm was too much. I have been looking at the 7mm area and the OVL Nivana was a possible purchase - I think I will wait for a few months and see what happens.

• Like 1