Narrowband

Celestron CGXL or EQ8??

wavydavy

Looking to upgrade my mount in the near future, and im thinking between these to, its for imaging through a Celestron C11 Edge HD with focal reducer. I currently have a Losmandy G11, which im fairly certain will be an issue when it comes to payload...……..

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Looking to upgrade my mount in the near future, and im thinking between these to, its for imaging through a Celestron C11 Edge HD with focal reducer. I currently have a Losmandy G11, which im fairly certain will be an issue when it comes to payload...……..

One of my guests imaged successfully with a Meade 10 inch ACF on a Losmandy G11. I think the Meade is slightly heavier and the focal lengths are not very different. You'll need a good degree of accuracy and will doubtless be thinking of an OAG. Do you have an idea of the mount's RMS under guiding?

Olly

• Like 1

Hi Olly, not sure of its RMS,  I also know someone that has some luck with the same set up. I image off axis anyway so that's ok. Ive recently upgraded to a moonlight focuser (more weight all at the eyepiece end) this includes a filter wheel, OAG, Lodestar x2, Atik 314 mono, ect…...another big issue is balance in DEC, im right at the end of the dovetail plate almost, that's without the focal reducer, meaning id have to add even more weight nearer the corrector plate area to balance it. I recon its pushing it somewhat...……….

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Hi Olly, not sure of its RMS,  I also know someone that has some luck with the same set up. I image off axis anyway so that's ok. Ive recently upgraded to a moonlight focuser (more weight all at the eyepiece end) this includes a filter wheel, OAG, Lodestar x2, Atik 314 mono, ect…...another big issue is balance in DEC, im right at the end of the dovetail plate almost, that's without the focal reducer, meaning id have to add even more weight nearer the corrector plate area to balance it. I recon its pushing it somewhat...……….

Longer dovetail plate?

Olly

Tomorrow I'm heading to Spain to switch out my CGX for an ASA DDM85. I would not recommend the Celestron for long focal length setup, as the mount simply isn't good enough. I will bring it back and use it for my RASA @620mm, for which it is great, but definitely not for an 11".

YMMV

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 02:43, Datalord said:

Tomorrow I'm heading to Spain to switch out my CGX for an ASA DDM85. I would not recommend the Celestron for long focal length setup, as the mount simply isn't good enough. I will bring it back and use it for my RASA @620mm, for which it is great, but definitely not for an 11".

YMMV

So you recon the EQ8 is better??