Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Projection - First Attempt

AdeKing

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the full setup thread but as its solar related I thought here was appropriate. Feel free to move it if you think it's in the wrong section.

I jumped into WL solar observing feet first with a Herschel wedge and a year later had a full Ha setup and dedicated SolarQuest mount, but until today I've never tried Solar Projection. 

I picked up a Solar Projection Screen from ABS a couple of weeks ago and thanks to @prusling I now have a T2 1.25" nose piece to make the assembly work.

The Projection assembly looks identical to the Vixen setup which retails for silly money but this one is branded Starguider and cost me £25 posted I think. 

Everything is metal so it's a sturdy but relatively lightweight setup with a 1.25" Eyepiece clamp on the screen side and a T2 thread on the scope side.

Once everything was assembled, set up and aligned I tentatively removed the lens cap and tried to focus. 

It's lucky that my Moonlite has a long drawtube as it's right at the end of its travel with about 10mm travel left so I think some extension tubes are in order. 

I used an old Tal 25mm plossl that I didn't pay much for and doesn't work to well with my scopes as the FLs are a bit short so I wasn't too worried if it got ruined. 

Everything worked, I had a nice blank, but sharp, disc projected on the screen and for the 20 mins that I carefully monitored the setup there was no sign of heat from the eyepiece, drawtube or scope when at full aperture or stopped down. 

Admittedly its a boring view today, but I hope this will serve me well at outreach events. 

Here are some pics. 

IMG_20190601_105252.jpg

IMG_20190601_105310.jpg

That looks a interesting set up Ade. As you say excellent for an outreach event.

A few years ago I did the same procedure using the Kellner EP that came with the PST. I did not appreciate that some the internal bits of the EP were plastic until smoke came out of the EP. Just goes to show care needed when solar observing. Nice scope by the way.

I'd seen the Vixen setup but being three figures in cost it was a non starter so when this popped up I jumped at the chance. 

Ideally I need a shorter focal length Huygens or Ramsden EP as they are not cemented and being an older EP design are generally metal construction. 

I did loads of reading up about recommended EPs as like you've experienced some contain plastic which can melt. 

It gives a chance for several people to observe at once and they don't have to overcome the fear of looking through a telescope at the sun. 

The scope is lovely, it came to me via Lockie and Saganite, but isn't leaving me, it's a definite keeper. 

• Like 1