Alternative counter balance weights.

Guest chaz2b

Guest chaz2b

Looking how costly counter balance weights are, I came across a few of these from work, waste management company, the central hole is about 25mm or 1” as I prefer to say, so, getting an adapter to fit is going to be the challenge, has anyone else used this “cheaper” alternative?

The weight comes from a set of dumbbells, I have eight of these weights.

chaz

16EB42B6-6FA2-4634-BECA-872403ECEF02.jpeg

I have a 2.5kg York one on my AVX but it just sits on top of the Celestron 5kg one :). I suppose you otherwise just need some sort of collar. As Gina suggests, maybe a 3d printed one. Else you might be able to make do with a jubilee clip, or two, or similar?

Louise

I use dumbells on my 3D balance system. 

Cut 25mm diameter "cotton reels" with a 27mm Holesaw from appropriate thickness wood. 

"Penny Washers" either side and jubilee clips to secure. 

Not very secure, you might think of a better fix than the jubilees, mine are on threaded rod so are held tight with nuts either side. 

Michael 

Guest chaz2b

In the Gina theme, I thought that having tapered collars with slits in them, then simply push fit, 3D printed of course....over to you Gina.

if I may expand on that idea, placing ribs every 2/3mm protruding 1 - 1.5mm, or maybe  a couple of undercuts for the provision of a rubber ring to capture the collar .

chaz

17 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Someone on here recommended sometime ago to buy these Stainless Door Stops from Screwfix and get them drilled, at £10.49 it has got to be worth it.

I've made a couple from those, just a heads up they are actually cast iron clad in stainless steel so take a bit of drilling.

Dave

Archived