Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ5 with heavy tripod and C8?

MortonH

I've been scouring posts about the AZ5 but have been unable to find the info I need so posting here.

With the heavier tripod (1.75" legs) this mount is supposed to have a capacity of 9kg so in theory it should be fine with a C8.  Has anyone used it with this or similar scope?  I'm particularly interested in whether the motions are still nice and smooth, and also if there is any wobble or play in the mount.

Yes in theory the AZ5 should support a C8 and it looks like there is enough clearance.  But why do you want to do this?  The C8 has a 2 metre focal length so not well suited to be used with an unguided grab'n go mount.  Celestron bundle the C8 in various configurations, and AFAIK currently all these are with GoTo mounts.

I have used C8's as the C8 SE, a portable visual GoTo. Also with a EQ5 RA driven mount (stable, worked for planetary imaging) and as a CPC800 (very stable and smooth planetary imaging setup, but very heavy).

I use my C8 on a DSV-3 alt-az mount equipped with encoders and Sky Commander and am very happy with it.  I prefer the simplicity of this type of setup to EQ and/or GOTO mounts.

With regard to the AZ5 I'm looking for a smaller alt-az mount to use primarily with a C5 but it would be nice if it was also capable of handling the C8 should the need arise.

I have the AZ5 on the heavy duty tripod and as you say the literature from Skywatcher states a 9kgs payload capacity.

The details from Celestron state that the C8 has a weight for the OTA of 5.67 kgs so it should be okay on the AZ5.

On my AZ5 I only use a 150P scope but it has had a 80mm finderscope and a 20mm 100 degree EP on top and as long as the balance is okay anything works well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have the AZ5 on the heavy duty tripod and as you say the literature from Skywatcher states a 9kgs payload capacity.

The details from Celestron state that the C8 has a weight for the OTA of 5.67 kgs so it should be okay on the AZ5.

On my AZ5 I only use a 150P scope but it has had a 80mm finderscope and a 20mm 100 degree EP on top and as long as the balance is okay anything works well.

Yeah but the manufacturers tend to overstate the capacity so I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried it with a C8.

The rating is 9kg when fitted with the heavy duty tripod which is the EQ5 tripod but with a 3/8 photo connection.

The 5kg is with the standard light weight tripod.

BE2CB9F9-BB20-4716-802C-5B3848BD444A.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone might have tried an 8" SCT on this mount.  Apart from the weight I'm wondering if this scope is physically too wide to point horizontally and/or vertically.

Depends on what degree of rigidity you find acceptable.

The SE 6/8 GoTo mount commonly bundled with the C8 is probably more stable than the AZ5, but still not great. It is stable enough to operate as a portable visual mount but that's it.  The SE 6/8 mount has 1.5" stainless steel legs.   Being a narrow field f10 instrument, the C8 is better suited to rigid mounts with powered tracking etc.

I've used a Startravel 120 with metal 2" diagonal, 2" 30mm eyepiece, red dot and 9x50 finders atttached. Probably around 6kg. Generally the mount feels solid on the steel tripod. Balance is good and the scope swings around like a toy. Focus wobbles are unobtrusive. Viewing the zenith feels safe. The only criticism is at higher elevations is slomo control slippage even with the clutches tightened.The Explorer 130 didn't have this issue, but that scope was a couple of kg lighter.

Likely not suitable for a C8, but a nice combo with a C5.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

No experience with that particular setup. But I do have the C9.25 with the Evolution. The OTA is just above 9 kg and the Evolution is stating a max payload of just above 11 kg. I can say that with dew shield, diagonal and eyepiece that weight is pushing the mount. Changing magnification on my Baader zoom or a gust of wind is followed by quite many seconds of vibration. Focus wobbles? Oh yes. The point I'm trying to make is that being close to the stated max payload works, but it's not optimal. 

@Viktorious

Edited by Viktorious
Joke was apparently to close to a sales pitch 😂