Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Macavity

RIP Murray Gell-Mann (of Quark fame!)

A belated RIP for "personal hero" Murray Gell-Mann (of Quark fame!) 😎

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/obituaries/murray-gell-mann-died-.html

Predictor of future discoveries... Charm... Top & Bottom quarks etc. 
Someone who made theories of Particle Physics a bit more relatable? 😋

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting that Chris I would have missed it otherwise.  A shared personal hero. 

Jim 

• Like 1

The very opposite of a self-publicist, I think. He always appears as a gigantic and sympathetic figure in the writings of his contemporaries, or at least of those I've read.

Olly

• Like 1

I have to admit to a bit of context confusion when I read the subject of this thread.  My first thought was "Was he into solar observing as well?"

James

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Nothing every stays simple? But a pretty picture anyway: 😎
proton.jpg.60bb8e5aca9b56651bbbb7895ba11518.jpg

https://cerncourier.com/the-proton-laid-bare/ (May 2019!)
And there are (doubtless) still discoveries to be made... 😉

I do hope so Chris. I often think that it would be utterly amazing if we ever do get to a complete understanding of matter (reality). I have held the belief for a long time that if it is knowable then we will, no matter how difficult the journey and science.  I guess the limiting factor will ultimately be the energy scales required to see that far enough into the fundamental of all fundamentals :) How utterly amazing would that be though. 

Jim 

• Like 1

I only really knew of him through his appearance in Feynman's timeline but  I recdntly watched a few YouTube offerings of him in interviews (including his thoughts on Feynman!) and he came across as great character too.

Another great loss for the classic era of modern physics.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, saac said:

I do hope so Chris. I often think that it would be utterly amazing if we ever do get to a complete understanding of matter (reality). I have held the belief for a long time that if it is knowable then we will, no matter how difficult the journey and science.  I guess the limiting factor will ultimately be the energy scales required to see that far enough into the fundamental of all fundamentals :) How utterly amazing would that be though.  

🙂 I'm "with you" on that, Jim! Nature shows so many *parallels* re. "building of matter" from
smaller (previously unseen/detected) components. Common ideas of Symmetry & Spectrosopy 
seem so "transferable" among molecular/atomic/nuclear/particle Physics, Chemistry etc. etc. 😎

Who could NOT be attracted by Geometry of the "Charmed" extension of the Eightfold Way?
For those of US who were / are "Less Mathematical" (lol) a visually appealing representation! 😸

baryons.jpg.eaf70b77b06fe460d2f7bcfcd4419f79.jpg

"Big Science" is *multi-disciplinary* re. Physics... Engineering... Chemistry... Electronics... etc. etc.

P.S. @Paul M Got a few chuckles from "Gell-Mann versus Feynman" (and others) on this! lol 😋
http://discovermagazine.com/2009/apr/17-man-who-found-quarks-made-sense-of-universe

P.P.S. I sometimes feel "Ever increasing Energy" Particle Physics *got lucky* re. some of this...
Hopefully Astrophysics will "Get a Break" re. (the missing ingredients of) Dark Matter as well? 😜

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesF said:

I have to admit to a bit of context confusion when I read the subject of this thread. 
My first thought was "Was he into solar observing as well?"

Weird thing... For that time, I'd totally forgotten about the *Solar* Scopes! 😋
(I'm still an "Etalon" man! lol). Still pondering Quarks versus "Quorks" (sic)...
Was it a (James Joyce) "Seagull Cry"... a "Quart" of Beer... Something else? 🤔

Edited by Macavity