SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

29.5.19 Burning Prom.

Rusted

29.5.19 Bit of a bonfire. Still experimenting.

Cloud most of the morning. Cleared to milky sky.

10% of 500 frames. ZWO 120 MC PST Stage XYZ 150/8 = 120/10 equivalent.

Artistic embellishment in PhotoFiltre7.

12_42_05 29519 ha 2 prom rsz 600.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nicely captured 

Thank you Pete.

Though I think I might have strayed over the border between art and science. :wink2:

Does what we do, with the best intentions, represent reality? 
I certainly don't see orange when I look through the eyepiece.
So anything I/we end up with is an obvious artefact.
As is a Hubble re-coloured image?

A still photograph, particularly on film, is a fairly true record of the moment.
What, then, is the result of video stacking, wavelet and image handling rendering of the [supposed truth?
Does even the most remarkably detailed Solar image have any real, scientific value?
I'm not being remotely cynical or negative here. Merely inviting other's opinions.
Are we artists? Or amateur "scientists" with delusions of grandeur? :)

Artists, putting our interpretation through use of appropriate tools in order to 'entertain' those who view the end results.

Much as the Impressionists did with their interpretations of colour in the landscape.

We have to remember the white Sun is rarely viewed by many people as being normal - hance the added colourations.

• Like 1

I don't what you have presented is an obvious artefact, it is real. the image view is different from the eye piece view for many reasons. 

The colour is the most obvious. My Lunt shows a red image, this is not real either just a result of the filtration. I then image in monochrome, then change it to orange purely for aesthetic reasons, the Sun has been depicted as orange for centuries in art.

Stacking and processing I think is just a way of beating the conditions.

Yes we are amateur "scientists" and yes, just occasionally I certainly do have delusions of grandeur 😀😀😀 

Seriously though, many contributions to science have been made by people to ourselves.

• Like 2