Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just The One Fine Double

When I set out, the sky was clear.  I had six doubles targets in The Northern Crown in mind.  I chose the ED80 for the sharpness of stars, and the GoTo mount because starting/hopping can be difficult with light skies.  Arcturus appeared at 9.55; aligned on that.

Sigma 1965 (CrB) is a quintuple system, visual double, 6.4" separation.  GoTo got me spot on at x24.  (SAO number from CDSA entered into handset as usual.)  Going up to x48 split the star beautifully, with the fainter component above - a lovely sight, very sharp, closely matched, still close, but distinct, and nothing else in view. 

And that I'm afraid is that!  After a promising start, I tried to get into the gaps, but the the gaps closed, so I finished after 40 minutes, but that one lovely double made it worthwhile!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

In the area , the "blaze" star (T CrB) SAO 84129 is always worth a visit,

Nick.

Indeed it is - a variable binary with 0.3" separation, split by spectroscopic means.  I'll track it down next time out!

Doug.

• Like 1