SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Inevitable Galactic collision

barkis

Astronomers have determined that Messier 90,  a  lovely Spiral in Virgo, which contains many galaxies,is heading for a collision with our Milky Way galaxy, and there is no doubting it. 

As M90 is about 60 million light years away,  it sure ain't gonna happen next week, but happen it will they say. The movement contradicts the expansion theory of Red Shift, but M90 is definitely Blue Shifted.  

This is only part of the report, there is more, but the basic info. Is above. 

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, barkis said:

The movement contradicts the expansion theory of Red Shift, but M90 is definitely Blue Shifted. 

Are you sure that it is in contradiction to expansion, could it just be peculiar motion of that galaxy because of local mass arrangement / gravitational pull?

Any link on the source of info?

4 hours ago, barkis said:

Astronomers have determined that Messier 90,  a  lovely Spiral in Virgo, which contains many galaxies,is heading for a collision with our Milky Way galaxy, and there is no doubting it. 

As M90 is about 60 million light years away,  it sure ain't gonna happen next week, but happen it will they say. The movement contradicts the expansion theory of Red Shift, but M90 is definitely Blue Shifted.  

The Virgo cluster is gravitationally bound. The force of gravity on the scale of the local cluster is 10^7 stronger than the tension caused by the metrical expansion of space. (Sorry I don't have the figure for the virgo cluster.)

So this observation is consistent with the expansion theory as @vlaiv explained. Indeed many local galaxies are blue shifted as can be seen in Hubble's original data.

Regards Andrew

See later post we will not stay bound to the virgo cluster but the local group will remain bound.

Edited by andrew s

I'm no Cosmologist, I'm quoting only some of the report I read on this. Thought it would stir up some interest in those who do possess sufficient knowledge, to agree or question what appears to have come from a genuine source.  There was a mention of Red shifted Galaxies  in M90 too, I ought to have mentioned that. 

It was the mention of M90 at some time way in future colliding with The MW. that initiated my perhaps hasty post 😀.

Ron.

This will all come to pass so apparently slowly that if humans are still around they probably won't even notice it happening. As for "collisions", even the stars in globular clusters are separated from each other by much more than our Earth-Sun distance so that event is likely to be rare.   😀

I think M90 is falling into the Virgo cluster and happens to be heading in our direction. I'm not sure the local group is sufficiently bound to the Virgo cluster to overcome the local expansion.

• Like 1

Well, we first have to "survive" collision with Andromeda, and then when we do that, we will emerge stronger to face incoming M90 :D

But I doubt that humans, if present at that time will not notice anything - I think sky will change quite a bit - we won't have one stripe of milky way on the sky as it will be split and distorted and augmented by another galaxy and I suspect that much more nebulosity will be present in night sky - all that commotion is going to heat things up and new stellar nurseries will be all over the place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I think M90 is falling into the Virgo cluster and happens to be heading in our direction. I'm not sure the local group is sufficiently bound to the Virgo cluster to overcome the local expansion.

That makes perfect sense - I just checked, center of Virgo cluster is quoted at about 16.5Mpc and M90 is about 18Mpc

I think I will avoid reading Newspaper Topics that invade my mobile. There are many reports that are plainly stupid.  Most of the tripe is Space related. One article suggest a Green spider like creature had been imaged by one of the Mars  science packages.  One of a number of articles that are pure nonsense, but that's the press for you, anything to grab readers attention  

Ron.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Do you have a reference for your last point as I would like to follow it up.

Thanks Andrew

PS I found a paper with a simulation that supports your comment. The local cluster remains bound

Edited by andrew s

12 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

This will all come to pass so apparently slowly that if humans are still around they probably won't even notice it happening. As for "collisions", even the stars in globular clusters are separated from each other by much more than our Earth-Sun distance so that event is likely to be rare.   😀

True. It never bothered us last time.. apart from the odd, spilt cup of tea.. which we put down to gravitational waves..  but were pooh-poohed.  :icon_clown:

• Haha 1

One thing that does seem to be associated with galaxy collisions is the transition to being a 'Starburst' galaxy.

Although individual stars won't collide, gas clouds in galaxies can be drawn from one to the other, so being disrupted and compressed, giving rise to a large number of new heavy stars, which rapidly go supernova.

If the supernovae are close to a life bearing stellar system, the bursts of gamma rays could have a sterilising effect.

Edited by Gfamily

The fact that galaxies are displaced relative to each other both by local effects and by the expansion of the universe (the Hubble Flow) gives rise to some interesting observations. If galactic distances are measured by the redhift method and by the redshift-free Tully-Fisher method then the distances not only disgaree somewhat but do so in a systematic way which seems to show galaxies in parts of space 'beating against the current' of the of the Hubble flow because, presumably, they are attracted by some unknown gravitational source. (This comes with my usual cosmologiocal disclaimer, 'As I understand it...' :D)

Olly

6 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The Milky Way must have been a very naughty galaxy when an infant. All these other galaxies are now ganging up on it. 

Oh yes, it has swallowed a fair number of dwarf galaxies.

The question is, are the other galaxies ganging up on the Milky Way, or are the MW and Andromeda teaming up to gang up on M90? Action & reaction.

• Haha 1

On 28/05/2019 at 17:02, wimvb said:

Oh yes, it has swallowed a fair number of dwarf galaxies.

The question is, are the other galaxies ganging up on the Milky Way, or are the MW and Andromeda teaming up to gang up on M90? Action & reaction.

There's only one way to find out.

FIGHT!!!!!!

two_galaxies_fighting_by_angelvicky_d2zb0or-250t.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 2