Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Took my Celestron AVX Mount out this afternoon to familiarize my self with it in the daylight. Wasn’t sure if or how it would work, since it’s my first goto Mount. I got it setup per the directions and attached the SkySync GPS. It locked on my location very quickly so I did the Quick Align option just as a test. The polar scope was oriented north, and I used Sky Safari to locate stars I couldn’t see cause it was daytime. My first choice was Sirius and it slewed  right around to what should be the general vicinity! I then chose Venus in the West and off it went! I hit home and it went back to the original setup position. I can’t wait to take it out tomorrow night and really put it through it’s paces! This is totally most excellent!

• Like 7

Hi Greg, great to hear the AVX is working out for you. Skies permitting put that baby to work!

John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s awesome, remember that if your mount has a polar scope you can greatly assist it’s accuracy  by visually finding Polaris then leveling and adjusting your mount so Polaris is centered in the crosshairs of your polar scope.

This will assure good accuracy, centering Polaris on the crosshairs is good enough for visual observing, later if you want to get into AP, you’ll want an app which shows exactly where to put Polaris off center from crosshairs for hyper accuracy as Polaris actually spins in a little circle as the hours pass.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

After seeing so many “GoTo - Help Needed!” Threads. What a nice change to read about a positive experience!

Enjoy your new toy. 

Paul

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ceebee58
      Newbie , bought a skywatcher Capricorn ( around £100) but still unopened as I have some unexpected money and wonder what to do .
      options I see are ; 
      Use the Capricorn and get to know the sky and how to align the eq mount. Move on if I get the bug , maybe get a couple of better eyepieces.
      Return for refund and choose one of;
      Use my approx £350 budget to get a 90+ aperture scope .
      Blow the budget on an entry level GOTO scope , don’t bother learning stuff but just observe.
      What would you do ? To be honest I think the learning thing is part of the fun but GOTO scopes seem to be the ‘in’ thong

• By Corne de Klerk
      Hi Everyone. Hoping you can guide me in the right direction or give some advice. 
      I was given a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope as a gift and have so far managed to locate and view Jupiter with an Android app. 

I subsequently came across a youtube clip were the guy demonstrated on how to add a DSLR / mobile phone adapter to his telescope as a way to converting his budget telescope to a push / go-to by clipping his mobile phone on top of his telescope and using the star finder app, be able to locate his target and then using his finder scope.  Please note that I am not trying to Astrophotography (yet).
      However, I am unable to find any mounting clips / mobile phone adapters I can buy to add onto my telescope. Any suggestions or ideas how I can make this work? 

Below is what I mean on how I want to attach my mobile phone on top of my telescope.
      Your help will be appreciated!

AC
      South Africa

• By gutaker
      Hi,
      do you think it's a good idea to swap my EQ3-2 GoTo Alu for iEXOS-100? Will there be some kind of improvement?
      Thanks!
    • By Vroobel
      Hi, 
      As my GoTo is successfully finished (some cosmetic issues remain) I shoud focus my attention on planets' positions. I have proper source of information: fantastic book "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, thus I will sort the planets soon. But planets are not a challenge for me at this moment, they are just something obvious to do in my list. 
      I have another idea and ambitious plan for next project within the year: locating and tracking the ISS to be able to make a video of its fly, not only transition. 
      Similarly to other objects, I need some equations. I'm pretty sure they are available somewhere, because plenty websites or apps offer showing current position of the ISS. 
      I will use this topic for sharing a progress ot the project. 
    • By HappyGoth
      I am just in the process of buying my first telescope. There’s so much information it’s making it very difficult what to choose! I have decided to buy a GoTo telescope but I can’t find any information which answers my query. Basically, can you use a GoTo telescope without using the computer part and use it as you would manual one? Any advice would be gratefully received!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.