Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

wesdon1

how safe is Solar Observing through foil like filters ?

On 25/05/2019 at 06:19, Paz said:

I agree with checking your filter every time. I hold mine up to the sun and check for pinholes by eye every time I put it on the scope.

Also, I check with my hand that it's on and solid every time I put my eye to the eyepiece.

I've also got a film filter for my finder scope which helps but a proper solar finder would be good.

Yes, I do the same with my filter. I hold it up and inspect for any holes. Like you I also use my hand to check filter placement while looking in the EP. 

The only issue ive ever had with a filter was years ago as a youngin with a borrowed glass filter. It had a small unnoticeable crack. Fortunately no eye damage. It definitely made me always check after that.

Rob

• Like 1

I find that the best way to check is to be in a dark place and shine a torch at the back of the filter.