Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moving stars in the sky

Bridge

Hi all, honestly I don't know the first thing about astronomy but I just saw something really cool and wondered if anyone could help me identify what it was. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a picture of it. But I just saw this long line of stars moving through the sky not all that fast. Initially it was quite far away and it looked like the line the planes make in the sky when they fly but as it got closer I could make out the individual stars. I know with meteors that I've seen before they were traveling a bit faster and had a tail these never had a tail and there was a large group of them but not really scattered they were basically all in a line. I'm really curious as to what it could have been. I don't think so many satilites would be so close together traveling like that (although I may be wrong as mentioned I don't know much about astronomy). This was approximately 10 to 15 minutes ago in county Louth in Ireland. 

• Like 1

Hi @Bridge and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Astronomy needn't be be that expensive. Get yourself a pair of binoculars and enjoy. One of my favourite things to do on a summer evening/night is grab my 7x50's lay on the grass/lawn or excercise mat and follow man-made satellites across the sky. :bino2:

Starlink satellites indeed, they are slowly separating and dispersing sort of as days go by, if i hadn't known about the mission, i too would have been gobsmacked and calling UFO lines double quick lol.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 1