Narrowband

Smaller, manageable alt/az goto mount.

I am looking for a manageable and affordable alt/az goto mount. I have a Celestron C5 and will be adding a 100mm f7 ed refractor. I have been considering Skywatcher's AZ Gt wifi mount. This has a stated payload of 5 kgs. The C5 with accessories would be fine. But the ED refractor at 4 1/2 kgs plus 2 inch diagonal and 2 inch Eyepiece may well push this payload over 5 kgs. I am wondering if the Az Gt wifi mount would be up to this payload. It will be observing only. Have any other members any experience of using this mount with payloads over the 5 kgs? 

Any other suggestions would be interesting. 

Thanks. 

Martin

I mounted OO 6" f5 Newtonian which is exactly 5kg ( old blue tube sold with Vixen GP ) on it ( Gti ) and it could handle it. This was with the stock saddle. I since bought ADM saddle hoping it would provide even better mounting. If you think about it. With ADM saddle it'll be safe and so what if the mount stops working in 2 years. Just buy another head :D

It's a capable mount although I would personally recommend putting it on a more solid tripod than the standard.

I have also upgraded the saddle to the ADM dual format one which gives very secure grip. I use mine with the Tak 100mm which is probably the lighter than your planned scope, but used with a Baader Coolwedge and Mark IV Binoviewers I reckon the weight is probably over 5kg although I've never actually weighed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It's a capable mount although I would personally recommend putting it on a more solid tripod than the standard.

I have also upgraded the saddle to the ADM dual format one which gives very secure grip. I use mine with the Tak 100mm which is probably the lighter than your planned scope, but used with a Baader Coolwedge and Mark IV Binoviewers I reckon the weight is probably over 5kg although I've never actually weighed it.

Can I ask what the ADM dual format saddle is Stu. I guess that there is a product code. 

Thanks. 

Like Stu, I use mine a lot with a fully loaded ED80 which is about 4 kg but connected to a much better tripod. I use an EQ6 tripod. The stock item is not up to much. I also use a custom battery setup which ensures I can slew the scope around in sub zero temperatures all night.

19 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I also use a custom battery setup which ensures I can slew the scope around in sub zero temperatures all night.

That's a good point. I use a Tracer but any good external source is better than internal batteries. The Lynx cable is good too.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Can I ask what the ADM dual format saddle is Stu. I guess that there is a product code. 

Thanks. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-dual-dovetail-adaptor-for-az-gti.html

There's another slightly smaller saddle available from ADM for the GTi, but this one ticks alll the boxes ☺ 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, that's the one, very good upgrade.

From my flo wishlist 😉 

It's Father's Day soon - I'd better start dropping hints 😂 

Ady

• Like 1
  • Haha 1