Narrowband

SpaceX Starlink passing overhead

melsky

I know technology inevitably advances as time passes, and worldwide communications form a big part of this progress. However, considering  how relatively young the near  space environment is for projects such as starlink is, and adding the amount of junk cluttering the near earth space already, is there any official world body monitoring the dangers that can only get worse over time.  We've already managed to screw up the planet with discarded rubbish, and contaminating the oceans, so can we reasonably suspect that the skies above us are also becoming a fly tippers paradise.                       Can I foresee a news headline of the future.        'Mars Tourist Bus Destroyed by a piece of junk'.

Far fetched?   Well! Maybe 😁

Ron.

• Like 3

There is some degree of regulation. It is devolved to national level. For example (I can't remember the name of the company) some company requested a launch license for a micro satellite in the USA and this was refused because the satellite was too small to track. The company launched it on an Indian rocket instead, and so the USA fined the company quite a lot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paz said:

Is there any predictive information as to when these will pass by like there is for the ISS and other established satellites.

9 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

See if this works for your location Paz....  https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=74001

Nothing available on the Heavens Above Android OS app at the present time ...but the website of the same has some info. 

• Like 1

update...

Now available on the Heavens Above Android OS app - shown as Starlink (leader) ID: 44298 & Starlink (trailer) ID: 44284

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Philip R said:

update...

Now available on the Heavens Above Android OS app - shown as Starlink (leader) 1D: 44298 & Starlink (trailer) ID: 44284

Thanks Philip. I had been wondering if I can see it before it disperses, looks like tonight could be good if clear.

• Like 1

Hi all,

So, i was just outside in SW of the UK and looking at exactly the right place at the right time and saw nothing. I could see similar magnitude stars....so my question is: am i too late? Does anyone know if the train has been broken up an the satellites moved to other individual slots? Or are they all still in a line and i need to see an optometrist ASAP? 

I assume i'm looking out for the "trailer" as Heavens Above calls it? Not the "leader", right?

Any help would be appreciated as its another clear night tomorrow and im determined to spot this bl**dy thing!

Cheers guys, have a great weekend .

Marc

51 minutes ago, MKHACHFE said:

Any help would be appreciated as its another clear night tomorrow and im determined to spot this bl**dy thing!

Depends if they're high enough to catch the sunlight.

Dave

24 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Depends if they're high enough to catch the sunlight.

Dave

Of course, i understand that 😀

I was just asking if the are still all in a line as they were at the start of the week.

Cheers

Marc

1 minute ago, wxsatuser said:

Should be  a train of them at 00:44.
Starting West over through South to South East.
Sats should eclipse just before going down about South East.

Thanks, too late now, but im going to look again at 22.35 this evening. 

Cheers

Marc

OK, i saw one of them (well, one of them)  just now, and i only saw it because it flared. It was labelled as the leader on Heavens Above, maybe that is just one satellite.

Cheers

Marc

On 30/05/2019 at 04:40, Philip R said:

update...

Now available on the Heavens Above Android OS app - shown as Starlink (leader) ID: 44298 & Starlink (trailer) ID: 44284

Excellent find.

I looked at the app yesterday (pro version) to see if it was on the front page, never thought about searching.

Got it now, thanks. Just need a weather opening!