Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SpaceX Starlink passing overhead

melsky

Video of the SpaceX second stage carrying the first 60 Starlink Satellites passing over Oxfordshire 22 minutes after launching from Cape Canaveral this morning. Plenty of course corrections going on from the reaction jets. It passed directly overhead so I lost sight of it as I repositioned the tripod. Look out for the small dot following it which must be the fairing , it’s well below the spacecraft as after it passes overhead and is going away from me it then appears to be ahead of the spacecraft.

It was magical to watch and sorry about the heavy breathing on the audio 😀

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Well caught, they cancelled it so many times I missed it completely in the end :grin:

Dave

Both of the previous launches I got ready to try and image it from where I live. Glad to see it get launched.

Very nice video. Thanks for posting it. Seeing the actual adjustments was great.

That's a great capture. Got stiff neck watching it!

I missed the launch and I've only seen a limited amount of  coverage since. One thing that struck me is the high orbital inclination, obviously to increase the extent of coverage of the new network.

Anyway, is the second stage still sowing its seeds or has it re-entered now?

Video of SpaceX Starlink Satellite Train passing over the Netherlands. 

Some of the comments seem to fear for the astro imaging community with these going over, what do people think?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Some of the comments seem to fear for the astro imaging community with these going over, what do people think?

It won't be much fun for visual observers either.

Apparently this project will involve 12,000 satellites!

So from my light-polluted backyard I will be able to see maybe 100 naked-eye stars & several thousand satellites! No.   Please No!

• Like 1

It seems bizarre that Mr. Musk got the go-ahead for this project. I imagine that for 99.999999% of the world's population internet connectivity is  more important than having sight of the night sky.

Think of all that extra space junk to track and avoid, particularly for manned space flight.

• Like 2

Finally we got some stars to look at. These were missing in the actual list as we do not have enough we need 12.000 more ... 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

So when it is cloudy we can at least clean up our wide fiels images from that Garbage up there ...

SARCASM off

This will be interesting to see how many will light up every night ...

Enjoyed watching these earlier, will stay up til 2.30 to try and catch another glimpse I think.
No idea what the long term ramifications will be if any but an impressive project and sight either way.

According to Elon Musk once the satellites settle into their orbits , they will be not be visible at night.

They will however be visible around dusk and dawn before passing into/out of the Earth's shadow.

In the below link, Elon responds to the doubts! All are not convinced!

Personally it makes me kinda nervous as I've just spent a large sum of money on a new mount, cameras, scopes, battery etc!😂

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.geekwire.com/2019/sightings-spacexs-starlink-satellites-spark-awe-astronomical-angst/amp/

Edited by hennyvenom
Words

Just now, Ibbo! said:

Just spotted them as well.

Cant see them being a problem for visual but as they spread out they could ruin a few subs.

Counted 52 of them with the binos.

Definately going to get in the way for astrophotography, not that it will in anyway deter any of us I suspect. Just annoy us.

It was nice to not be the only one in the garden saying "Wow" for a change though, something to get people looking up 🧐, 12000 of them could be a different story though.

I noticed the last few have already climbed enough to not be that visible at all, and trailing quite far behind.

• Like 1

Caught the pass here just after midnight, only naked eye though. Surprised they were so high, and I caught them coming from Ursa Major heading through Cygnus. Those at the back are definitely separating out now

Let's hope it won't ruing our hobby! Light pollution is already a pain, now if trains of satellites start photobombing our pictures... 

I wonder what the Flat Earth community will make of that. My bet goes to "Space chemtrails"!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

My bet goes to "Space chemtrails"!

More likely the first fragments of Nibiru entering Earth orbit.

Edited by Ags