Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Loose filter glass

Hi all me again 

I bought some rgb filters I while ago new ,I finally tried using them tonight and the red glass rattles ,does this happen with change in temps or is it a straight contact shop and go from there?

I would normally go straight back to the shop. If you have problems there, contact the manufacturer.

That said, the one time I had this problem, it was one I bought from astroboot for £4, so I didn't bother (life's too short). But I'm guessing yours cost a bit more than that.

I would not send it back for that, but I am quite confident about such thibgs. Just tighten the retaining ring. But don't touch the glass. If you in any way unsure then contact the shop. 

• Like 1

If it's a Baader filter, then it's designed to be a bit loose to reduce the possibility of stress.

I got that from the Baader Planetarium site. I can't link to it, but it can be found from the deep sky filter section.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveS said:

If it's a Baader filter, then it's designed to be a bit loose to reduce the possibility of stress.

I got that from the Baader Planetarium site. I can't link to it, but it can be found from the deep sky filter section.

They are baader but the other 3 are all fine

17 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

They are baader but the other 3 are all fine

Tighten is a misleading word as it should not be tight. But it should not rattle either that's for sure, just contact the shop for advice, but if you 'tighten' it only do so to the minimum to stop the rattle the ring should still move reasonably easily after your done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A wooden cocktail stick will do it. Just put the stick into the notch on the retaining ring and rotate until it stops moving. Not sure which direction but I'm guessing clockwise.

Happens often with glass elements.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1