Narrowband

Vibration Dampening SW H130p

Hi,

I've a SW Heritage 130p, and i mount it on my lovely SW Az5 which i use with my Lunt 50mm for solar Ha.

Ive noticed a lot of vibration at the EP (eg using a N13T6, so not a big heavy lump). I suspect the nifty flextube 2-truss design, plus the plastic focusser board + focusser.

This vibration really detracts from pushing up the magnification.  Anyone experience similar vibration / have any suggestions to reduce this?

Thanks,

-Niall

Will try, but my sense is that it is vibrating between the mount point and the focusser: ie the flex tube struts.  Ive adjusted this distance to a minimum - ie the clamp position along the dovetail rail.  I also have played with the length of the tripod legs to see what affects the vibration frequency  

Edited by niallk

The AZ5 is not the most vibration free mount going and is certainly less sturdy than the AZ4. However, the weak spot on most mounts is the mount head/tripod interface. Most cheap tripods are woefully inadequate for high power observing, but one way you could get the best out of the mount is to sink a steel post into concrete so you'll have a permanent pier. Otherwise, a solid tripod or a more solid mount head would probably be the way to go.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

Hi Niall,

I have had both the AZ4 and AZ5 and neither of them worked for me so far as damping vibration control was concerned. I changed to a Berlebach Castor some months ago and with my Tak FC100

It has a damping time of under 2 seconds, at 300X plus 

IMG_0951.JPG

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful comments & suggestions!

Yeah, i use my Az5 with my Lunt 50mm at relatively low mags - and for this purpose it is fine for me, and works well.

Sounds like the tripod is likely the issue; will try hanging a weight.  The Berlebach looks really nice: hmmm.   Trying not to spend much on astro gear this year...  😂

I now see several threads on SGL warning of vibrations with the SW tripod.  Not the biggest deal - my 15" dob is my main observing tool.  My hope is to use the 130p with the tripod mount and slo mo controls when camping with the family.   For the moment i can curb my enthusiasm for bumping up the mag.

Threw the scope out for a wander along the moon's terminator the other night and the views were really very nice for <€200.  The mirror clips are slighly pinching, so need to take care of that too.