SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

manual focussing

I've tried focusing using just the preview image, manual and FWHM method and finally a Bahtinov mask. The mask makes it dead easy and would be my recommendation if you're doing it manually. Getting those spikes lined up takes out a lot of the guess work and fiddling.

• Like 1

To add to what Buzzard75 said I second the bahtinov mask approach - was a game changer for me. You can make your own too so you dont have to buy a ready made one straight away.

Theres a few tutorials online for it, and a generator if I recall. I have used card ones and currently using a 3d printed one and they are sooo simple.

• Like 1

One more recommendation for a bathinov mask.  I use one with my 200PDS and focus via liveview on my DSLR.  As Buzzard75 says, it removes practically all the guesswork of "have I got it just right, or could it be improved?".   I bought one made of plastic, as it's quite cheap and won't be damaged by dew, if I forget to bring it in after doing the focus.