SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just got me boarding pass

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Couldn't resist, like the true geek I am

boardingpassmars.thumb.png.985665065faf70b79098e2243c0cbf93.png

And just over a year to wait too Michael. Don't forget to take reading matter to last for the 7 month trip.   Enjoy the sights on the way 😀.

Ron.

• Like 1

Just now, barkis said:

And just over a year to wait too Michael. Don't forget to take reading matter to last for the 7 month trip.   Enjoy the sights on the way 😀.

Ron.

The complete works of Terry Pratchett should work (I have read them all, but they are always worth a reread)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The complete works of Terry Pratchett should work (I have read them all, but they are always worth a reread)

I remember you saying you were a Terry Pratchett fan.  
The journey will seem shorter if you're laughing a lot.
Let's hope fellow travellers  have a sense of humour.

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My diary is clear for 2020, so I though.....why not!!!!.

I call shotgun.

BoardingPass_MyNameOnMars2020.png

You'll have a great advantage, already owning your personal Mars "rover".   😀

• Haha 1

A good friend who shares my fascination with all things cosmic thought it was her birthday twice over when I sent her an unannounced boarding pass. My partner showed a reasonable interest so she got one. My teenage kids went "wha-evaaa' so didn't get on board.

People in work think my friend and I are nuts. Are we crackers to want our names landed on another planet to potentially lie there for eternity? Maybe future colonisers will chuck the lander in a museum and wonder at all those who dreamt before them? I think that's a positive and quite mindblowing thought but so many people don't seem to care or understand!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

I have mine.  I can understand that some people might not want to do it, but not to understand why others would, well, some people have no real imagination.

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Everyone be careful. I flew here to Mars with InSight last year, but I have not been able to find a flight back.

Run up Olympus Mons, jump hard when you get to the top and let gravity do the rest :D

James

• Haha 1

Why would you want to come back??

Haven't you noticed how this planet is going to the dumps? And I won't mention the problem with light pollution! 

Be like the old days. If you improve a piece of land, yours!

• Like 2

Showed my pass to my daughter this evening and explained what it meant.

"Oh, wow!  That's *so* cool.  Can I do it?"

So of course, she has :)  I suspect some of her schoolfriends will be joining us for the trip too.

James

7 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Haven't you noticed how this planet is going to the dumps? And I won't mention the problem with light pollution!

Yes, I fell for the line about Mars being millions of miles from the nearest street light. I didn't realize my eyepieces didn't have enough eye relief for a pressure suit faceplate...

30 minutes ago, Ags said:

Yes, I fell for the line about Mars being millions of miles from the nearest street light. I didn't realize my eyepieces didn't have enough eye relief for a pressure suit faceplate...

Use the Skymax 102.  Then you can move the focal plane back far enough that you can put the eyepiece inside the faceplate :D

James