Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

FLO

DayStar Quark Solar Eyepieces at FLO

7 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I'll be interested to hear if the Quark EP is removable, I thought that in the SS60DS the Quark EP was fused to to the scope. 

The manual looks like it might be for the older Solar Scout 60 which I think did have a removable Quark EP rather than the newer DS version. 

Ade is right. I think that instruction manual you found is for an earlier model, John. 

From our website: 

* Quark component is not interchangeable on SS60ds. Original SS60 telescopes can interchange Quark optical components, but for cost reduction needs, the SS60ds has an all-in-one conjoined construction.

HTH, 

Steve

The Solar Scout SS60 is very exciting - it brings a good solar aperture with a pretty narrow passband down to prices many more people could afford :)

21 hours ago, FLO said:

And the...  

DayStar Solar Scout SS60-DS 60mm H-alpha Solar Telescope

Grant is currently playing with assessing one of these 🙂 

daystar_ss60-ds_1.jpg

This looks great. I'd like to jump into the world of H-alpha observing at some point. Am I right in thinking that this only takes a 1.25" diagonal. Adapters are required to use a 2" diagonal? I wonder how the performance compares to use a Quark eyepiece.

Posted (edited)

I read "eyepiece aperture" (field stop) for the solar scout is 16mm, so it will vignette with widefield eyepieces. Also, the only thing you can see with it is 0.5 degrees wide, so no need for 2"accessories I think.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

Most Ha scopes and filters use 1.25" and there is no point in using 2" stuff simply because image of the sun at focal plane for almost all scopes used for this (considering their focal length) is less than 1.25".

• Like 1

Thank you. I only have a 2" diagonal so wanted to know if I needed to factor the cost of 1.25" diagonal into the price.

Of course, if you live on Tatooine, you would want a widefield solar scope to see both suns at the same time!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you. I only have a 2" diagonal so wanted to know if I needed to factor the cost of 1.25" diagonal into the price.

In principle there would be no problem with using 2" diagonal but there would be no point in using 2" EPs - you would get "vignetting" sort of thing (not really as you would not see anything in that region anyway), but with this scope I suppose that you would have different issues when using 2" diagonal.

Focuser is helical and I suppose it does not have quite a large travel. 2" Diagonals are usually much "longer" in terms of optical path and I suspect that you might not be able to reach focus with them. 1.25" is the way to go in this situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The sky the day BEFORE the new scope arrives. Hoping for more of the same tomorrow. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

A1AF9389-5548-4251-8E23-D8A3BFA0EDC8.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

Any indication of how much the "interchangeable" filters would be for the 80mm model?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The wait 😬

2E7FA24B-49E3-4220-86AF-B50682C15B07.jpeg

That's still so far away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/05/2019 at 13:45, FLO said:

You can now buy DayStar Quark Solar eyepieces at FLO 🙂 

In stock for overnight delivery. 

daystar_quark_eyepiece_chromosphere_1.jp

After we posted that a competitor dropped their price to £999, so we have done the same 🙂 

Now is an excellent time to buy a DayStar Quark H-alpha Chromosphere eyepiece

If you have purchased one from FLO in the last 30-days, please contact us. We will then email you a £96 (the reduction) FLO Gift Voucher so you won't miss out. 

Please note we routinely compare and adjust our prices to ensure FLO is competitive so prices can go up as well as down... 

Steve 

• Like 2

@FLO

Any plans for quark combo?

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

@FLO

Yes 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Just ordered a chromosphere Quark from FLO - too good an opportunity to miss at this price. Plan is to use it for higher magnification sungazing with a 4” Tak - and also as part of the travel kit. Can’t wait to try it and compare with  my Lunt 60.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Just ordered a chromosphere Quark from FLO - too good an opportunity to miss at this price. Plan is to use it for higher magnification sungazing with a 4” Tak - and also as part of the travel kit. Can’t wait to try it and compare with  my Lunt 60.

Good luck with the quark, would be interested to hear your feedback on it.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 13:46, vlaiv said:

On 03/06/2019 at 15:10, FLO said:

Yes 🙂 

The DayStar Quark Combo is now in stock for overnight delivery 🙂 

daystar_quark_combo_1.jpg

• Like 1