Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DayStar Quark Solar Eyepieces at FLO

20 minutes ago, FLO said:

And the...  

DayStar Solar Scout SS60-DS 60mm H-alpha Solar Telescope

Grant is currently playing with assessing one of these 🙂 

daystar_ss60-ds_1.jpg

Looks very interesting. 

Can Grant share his findings and results on here? I'm very interested in this. 

Also, what does the bundle consist of and which would be better for imaging? 

Edited by geordie85

1 minute ago, geordie85 said:

Looks very interesting. 

Can Grant share his findings and results on here? I'm very interested in this

Initial reaction - very positive, nice build quality and a great size.

I had a brief first light with it yesterday and directly compared to a Lunt 60, B1200 Pressure tuned and I could see some very faint / small prominence through the DayStar that I could not see in the Lunt.

This was a very quick peak between clouds and there is very little on the sun at the moment so I will repeat the test for longer when I get a chance and will keep comparing the two.

One thing I am going to have to get used to is powering it and waiting for 5-10 minutes when adjusting the tuning for the temperature to stabilise - I am used to instant tuning results on the Lunt. I suspect when I am used to it, I will know what setting works best and start from that and the need for messing with adjustment will be less.

Two things strike me already though - the helical focuser works way better than I expected at getting a nice tight fine focus without moving anything and secondly, it's nice to be able to adjust the tuning without needing to brace the scope / mount as the pressure tuner on the Lunt does take a fair bit of torque to adjust.

For reference - I am using both on a Sky-Watcher SolarQuest mount - I love this mount!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

Great.  One of these is on my list of acquisitions so which type would most users recommend - chromosphere or prom? No I cant have both!!

Steve

Chromosphere

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Looks very interesting. 

Can Grant share his findings and results on here? I'm very interested in this. 

Also, what does the bundle consist of and which would be better for imaging? 

I have the bundle and, in all honesty think it's probably better to buy the scope and add other bits as you need them - e.g. the powertank is useful, but only if you don't have one already. The diagonal and eyepiece are nothing special...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

I suspect when I am used to it, I will know what setting works best and start from that and the need for messing with adjustment will be less.

Nice test here by Alexandra, should apply to the Solar Scout pretty much.

What FOV are you getting with it ?

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Nice test here by Alexandra, should apply to the Solar Scout pretty much.

What FOV are you getting with it ?

Dave

I'm easily getting a full disk with the 25mm eyepiece supplied with it and with a Hyperion Zoom at 24mm but I remember it being a tighter fov than the fov simulator would suggest so I will double check that next time I use it.

• Like 1

Argh! Naughty naughty FLO tempting me to destroy my bank balance again!

A Quark "eyepiece" on my Megrez 90 sounds a very tempting proposition. Add a Lunt Ca-K diagonal for a complete solar kit.

No! Must resist. Must. Resist. Must. Must. Resist.....

5 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Argh! Naughty naughty FLO tempting me to destroy my bank balance again!

A Quark "eyepiece" on my Megrez 90 sounds a very tempting proposition. Add a Lunt Ca-K diagonal for a complete solar kit.

No! Must resist. Must. Resist. Must. Must. Resist.....

Do I have to quote Seven of Nine?  😂

• Haha 3

This new Daystar Solar Scout SS60 DS 60mm looks very interesting. I bought my PST in 2005 and used it most sunny days (including today). About 2 years ago I bought the Double Stack which made a great difference showing surface detail. This PST has travelled the world seeing Total, Annular, Venus and Mercury Transits - its been a brilliant purchase.

I was thinking that after 14 years I needed an upgrade and now this turns up.

Clearly I would like to see more reviews. I assume that the scope could  be charged from the mains if you don't have a powerpack?

Because I don't have a refractor I would need a diagonal - does it matter whether its a 2" or 1.25"?

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Oh and fingers crossed my DayStar Solar Scout SS60-DS arrives for the weekend. 👍🏻

Thank-you for your order, John 🙂 

It is Wednesday night so we will have no problem delivering it to you before the weekend. 

Steve

58 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Good news. 👍🏻

I will be trying it with a Baader prism as well as a dielectric diagonal and will see if there is any difference..

Reading the manual see that they do an adapter to allw fitting the filter to a bigger scope. Hmm interesting possabilities. 🤔

74274C29-E430-4111-86B3-2EED2FA79DA3.jpeg

I'll be interested to hear if the Quark EP is removable, I thought that in the SS60DS the Quark EP was fused to to the scope. 

The manual looks like it might be for the older Solar Scout 60 which I think did have a removable Quark EP rather than the newer DS version. 

Hope the weather holds out for you John.