Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Last night was clear in SE Essex, but I nearly didn’t go out, not long past full moon and the lingering twilight.  However I’m so glad I did because it superb for double stars.

The highlight for me was Zeta Herculis ( Struve 2084 ) the SW star in the keystone.  I had two scopes in use, my OO 10” Dob designated 1/4 wave, and a new to me OO 8” VX8L, designated 1/10 wave.   I’ve had many unsuccessful tries at splitting Zeta with the 10” and last night was no exception.  Last night the seeing was so good that I tried magnifications that are usually pointless.

With the 8” at 300x and then 400x I got a lovely clear pin point split.  Bit of a challenge hand tracking at those mags with the 50 degree apparent field zoom, but definitely worth it 👍

I wont go into what 1/4 wave and 1/10 wave actually mean, different interpretations about that..........

Both scopes fully cooled and collimated, chuffed with the 8” previously owned by a local club member sadly no longer with us.

Ed.

• Like 6

Great report Ed and congrats on getting Zeta Herc ! :smiley:

I've had a mild obsession with that binary star for sometime now. I first managed the split with with a 150mm F/8 refractor, then eventually with my ED120 and now I've managed it with the Tak FC-100. It's a challenging pair alright with it's closeness and uneven brightness and a stern test of observer, conditions and equipment.

I agree that it's when you are observing targets that push towards the limits that quality optics show their worth.

• Like 1

Great stuff Ed. This one has been my nemesis for a few years! I seem to remember seeing it once before, possibly in Gavin's TEC160, not sure.

I'm reckon John's seeing must be better than mine, as I've tried and failed on numerous occasions with my Tak, and other larger scopes in the past.

I do now have an Orion Optics 8" f8, 1/10th wave, so given your success with your VX8L, it seems possible I will have some luck with it.

Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

This one has been my nemesis for a few years!

This has surely got to be one for the Mewlon 210, Stu!  🙂

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

This has surely got to be one for the Mewlon 210, Stu!  🙂

Yep, will give it a go. Need to get away from home to get some better seeing though. At home I'm observing over the houses most of the time.

• Like 1

Nice report, from memory I have split it with the M/N 190mm. My skies are very good here (most of the time) and I don't recall it being a difficult one, but if you have had problems with a 10 inch, then it must be, maybe it is all about conditions like Sirius.

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Earlier in the evening the split was not seen, had to wait until the Hercules keystone was almost overhead, then the 8” revealed the secondary occasionally and then for long moments.......two pinpoints imbedded in the diffraction rings.

I also appreciated the two speed focuser making exact focus easier to achieve.  Never had a two speed before, and used to wonder if it was necessary.  Mind you the focuser needed several previous tries to adjust it to make it work ok, at first it was way too tight, then it slipped, but eventually got a reasonable compromise.

I just love the Cambridge double star atlas ( second edition ) full of targets to entertain at all seasons.

Ed.

• Like 1