SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

guiding ra dec

Hi all I feel like I have taken a massive leap forward tonight 🥳 , but I dont know how to improve the guiding to make it a bit smoother . As you can see a few spikes lol. Eq5 pro goto ASIair eqmod if that helps.

Thanks Si

20190522_011537.jpg

20190522_011543.jpg

20190522_011547.jpg

20190522_011550.jpg

Edited by Fieldsy

What you are showing is all kinds of strange and you aren't giving enough info for anyone to really help. Personally, I don't think these all in one devices are suitable for beginners because they tend to work or don't and getting logs and reading them are at times challenging. With the bog standard computer with PHD2 and something like SGP on the surface is harder to setup but getting logs is a lot easier too.

Your DEC is essentially doing it's own thing. Your RA is hovering around -2" when it should be around 0". I'd almost guess that your DEC and RA are switched around.

What guide settings did you use and did you calibrate the guide camera? Did you calibrate then move the guide camera position?

• Thanks 1

Your RA trace is 'reasonable' but to me needs some adjustments to your scope's balance, PA etc. 

Can't tell from your post images what guider settings your using so any comments are guesswork.

• Thanks 1

Hi. Guessing; DEC is sticking.

The ASIair uses an edited version of PHD2 so you may have to ask ASI about the software side but if available, increasing the DEC aggression and lowering its minimum move may improve the DEC stiction and overshoot but sooner or later you're gonna have to dismantle DEC, lubricate and get it moving freely.

HTH

• Haha 1

Best to get used to the idea of doing mechanical work. These aren't complicated machines basically just a worm and a gear wheel.

With EQ from sky watcher you need to understand the mating between worm and wheel is fixed and if temperature changes it can become non optimal.

If the ASI device has PhD guide logs and debug logs it would help a lot to provide them.

• Like 1

That really is very odd. Seeing great RA and poor Dec is the opposite you normally get. The Dec can't be balanced correctly. Try to rebalance and if that doesn't help try guiding in RA only as a diagnostic. Also try disabling guiding and monitor the drift. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cotak said:

What you are showing is all kinds of strange and you aren't giving enough info for anyone to really help. Personally, I don't think these all in one devices are suitable for beginners because they tend to work or don't and getting logs and reading them are at times challenging. With the bog standard computer with PHD2 and something like SGP on the surface is harder to setup but getting logs is a lot easier too.

Your DEC is essentially doing it's own thing. Your RA is hovering around -2" when it should be around 0". I'd almost guess that your DEC and RA are switched around.

What guide settings did you use and did you calibrate the guide camera? Did you calibrate then move the guide camera position?

The guiding on ASI air is PHD2 just adapted to the platform.