SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova 2019ein in NGC 5353 plus a little more

John

This SN was reported last week and I observed it a couple of times with my 12 inch scope back then.

1st clear night since my last report and the supernova is still showing, gleaming faintly just off the N tip of the galaxy NGC 5353. Still seems to be around magnitude 13.5 or so and  visible with direct vision with my 12 inch scope but needs 300x plus magnification to make it "pop" clearly into view.

I thought this one was fading so I was surprised to find it still visible. It has been categorised as type 1a supernova and is described in one report as young and peculiar !

• Like 5

Loosing my clear sky here to thin but annoying cloud patches and bands. Before that I got a lovely view with the 14mm Delos eyepiece (114x) of 4 of the galaxies in the Hickson 68 group: NGC's 5353, 5354, 5350 and 5355. The last is listed as magnitude 13.2. I could not see the 5th member of this group NGC 5358 which is listed at mag 14.3. With the supernova just off the end of 5353, the group of 4 were a lovely sight for a while :smiley:

Messier 13 with the galaxy NGC 6207 also made a nice pairing in the field of view of the Delos 14mm, each object on either side of the field. Took a quick look at M92 and the Cats Eye nebula with it's central star and that might be my lot for this evening.

• Like 1

Just a further note that Mark (the galaxy hunter) has picked the galaxy and SN up this evening with his 127mm mak-cassegrain using averted vision so it is visible with modest apertures.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John said:

Just a further note that Mark (the galaxy hunter) has picked the galaxy and SN up this evening with his 127mm mak-cassegrain using averted vision so it is visible with modest apertures.

That is good going, but he does put the effort in. Unlikely to be a “point scope, quick glance, there it is” type of observation.  Guessing that he was away from home, somewhere dark.

It is a nice little group of fuzzies with a SN thrown in as a bonus. 

Paul

Edited by Paul73
  • Like 1

Nice repot John. Also, good to see the Delos working well. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I’ll have to go back to the Delos range. The ES 82°‘s, while very good indeed, don’t quite cut it at f4. Shame, as they are about 1/2 the price of the Delos range.😬😡🤬.

Paul

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Nice and people say Maks are only good for planets and lunar....

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

That is good going, but he does put the effort in. Unlikely to be a “point scope, quick glance, there it is” type of observation.  Guessing that he was away from home, somewhere dark.

It is a nice little group of fuzzies with a SN thrown in as a bonus. 

Paul

I think Mark was observing in his garden but the galaxy was almost overhead and he does know his galaxies, does Mark :smiley:

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Nice repot John. Also, good to see the Delos working well. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I’ll have to go back to the Delos range. The ES 82°‘s, while very good indeed, don’t quite cut it at f4. Shame, as they are about 1/2 the price of the Delos range.😬😡🤬.

Paul

I was thinking of parting with my Delos 14 because I haven't used it much but after last night I have reminded myself what a super eyepiece it is in the 12 inch dob. The globular clusters M13 and M92 were wonderfully presented and resolved with it together with nice surrounding starfields against a very black sky background :smiley:

• Like 2

The transparency here last night was good to excellent, so I had another try with my 180 Mak. With the scope and mount in a spot shielded by trees from a distant streetlight and the neighbour's outside light, NGC 5353 itself was fairly obvious with direct vision, as well as NGC 5350. The previous times I'd looked, NGC 5353 was only visible with averted vision. The SN was easily visible as a bright twinkling point at the S end of the galaxy at the point shown in published images, easiest at x100; higher mags made it too faint with DV, although it was still visible with AV - a consequence of the small aperture compared with John's report above I imagine where he found higher mags helped. Interesting that the long axis of the galaxy appeared to be visibly mottled - genuine or an optical artefact I wonder?

Compared with a nearby 13.1 mag star GSC 3030-1046 (SkySafari). the SN seemed to me quite a bit fainter, up to nearly a factor of two.

As Jupiter had risen above the murk by then (1:00 am), I popped my 102mm f13 frac on the SkyTee and had a quick look; lots of belt detail for the first time this year, but no interesting transits or GRS.

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 4