SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My latest and greatest M13 (camera set to RAW)

FaB-Bo-Peep

So after being enlightened that having my DSLR set to large JPG's was not the way to go I set it to capture RAW files and had another go at M13.  The attached image is the result of just over 20 minutes worth of 30 second subs captured from my severely light polluted back garden, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, (with darks but no flats), and processed in StarTools, (which I am absolutely loving by the way!). The RAW files definitely contain more colour and make my previous stars look very bland indeed.  I might have gone a little over the top making the most of this new found colour but once again this version has surpassed all my previous attempts and taken the crown as my new favourite. 

Scope is the Skywatcher 250PDS and the camera is a Canon Rebel XS, (1000D).

🙂

M13-RAW-32BIT-FITS-INTEGER-final4-jpg.jpg

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That’s mighty impressive! I’ve taken a good few images with a 1000d and a 250px. It is a good combination and you are definitely getting a lot out of it. 

Thanks, it's not the easiest scope to handle for sure but it's ability to grab bucket loads of light and achieve so much in so little time for me makes it 100% worth the effort. As you say the XS / 1000D appears to compliment it perfectly and I absolutely love being able to control the whole thing from the comfort of my conservatory via Stellarium and Astro Photography Tool.  I'm still scratching the surface regarding every aspect of this hobby but I know I have the right tools for me and am constantly amazed by the results achieved with so little knowledge and in such unideal light conditions.

Edited by FaB-Bo-Peep
  • Like 1

You've definitely got it going on there!

I confess to pixel-peeping and saw what I would have thought was chromatic aberration if it had been a refractor. Look at some of the very brightest, biggest stars -- there's a sort of turquoise "shadow" cast toward the center of the image. ??? There seems to be a bit of a cast of the same color in the heart of the cluster itself, green is not a color I'd expect to see there but what do I know. Coma? Does coma come with a color cast? Sorry, my ignorance is showing yet again.

6 hours ago, rickwayne said:

You've definitely got it going on there!

I confess to pixel-peeping and saw what I would have thought was chromatic aberration if it had been a refractor. Look at some of the very brightest, biggest stars -- there's a sort of turquoise "shadow" cast toward the center of the image. ??? There seems to be a bit of a cast of the same color in the heart of the cluster itself, green is not a color I'd expect to see there but what do I know. Coma? Does coma come with a color cast? Sorry, my ignorance is showing yet again.

Constructive criticism is always welcome so thanks for your comments. My early images with this scope suffered from coma but I believe that manifests itself with elongated stars around the edges of the image and has become much better now that I use a coma corrector. Light pollution is sever from my back garden location and the fact that I've still not got to grips with flats does not help with the central colour cast.  Also what you describe is almost certainly partly down to me trying to find my way with StarTools, (only been using it for about a week), and maybe getting carried away with some of the colour / processing settings, (probably a case of less is more). 🙂

Well, me implying that someone else plays up saturation or contrast for dramatic effect would DEFINITELY be a case of stones thrown from glass houses. By a black pot, at a kettle. Etc., etc.. I like 'em dramatic and while I might blush at my own shamelessness from time to time, I make no apologies. If an image pleases you, it's doing what it's supposed to do, IMHO.

• Like 1