Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Geoff Barnes

Is the GRS Unravelling?

Sounds like a good time to be imaging Jupiter.  Not so fortunate for those of us well to the north :(

James

Certainly an interesting event, shame it's at such unsociable hours at the moment. Especially with the view I have in that region of the sky, it's an hour window.

If it is going to eventually disappear after being visible  for hundreds of years, perhaps it's just a cycle that we've not been around long enough to even understand.

Interesting stuff :smiley:

A few years ago (2010 actually) the south equatorial belt practically disappeared for several months. I can recall observing the planet and seeing the GRS on it's own and not nestling in it's "hollow" in the SEB as it usually does:

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2010/05/jupiter-loses-its-south-equatorial-belt

So there is quite a bit of volatility in the surface features of Jupiter.

• Like 1

Oh wow!  Thanks for posting.  Will definitely try to observe this despite the low altitude... whenever the clouds allow!  Just checked that there is a GRS transit tonight, but clouded out here.

• Like 1

I watched Space Odyssey 2010 recently.. in it  odd things start to occur on Jupiter and the next thing you know it ignited into a new star! Let's hope that doesn't happen here - that would create a whole new level of light pollution!

• Haha 2

Can't Imagine big Jove eyeless. @John  I well remember the SEB's gradual fading too. Left the planet partially naked, and looking very strange.  One can only  Imagine the huge turmoil in Jupiter's Atmosphere. Suggestions of possible lifeforms within the atmosphere don't seem very credible, but who knows.  But if there is, it must be very resilient. 😀

Ron.