Narrowband

Coma Doubles With ED80 On GoTo

9.50 - sky very clear - Arcturus out on its own.  I had the ES ED80 on the Celestron GoTo mount - very handy, as long as I don't go too close to the zenith!  Aligned on Arcturus.  (I reach targets using SAO numbers in the handset.  If not included, I just aim for something else nearby.)

10.10 - Sigma1657/24Com - 1+(2) visual double, fairly close match, 20" separation.  A lovely sight at x24/3.42deg - the secondary closely to the side ("left"), and nothing else in view.

10.25 - OSigma266 - closely matched binary, 2.1" separation - just split at x160,  fainter one above the other.

10.40 - Sigma1639 - binary, fairly close match,  just 1.8" separation - very tight at x160 (my max with the ED80) - the fainter component was diagonally above the primary (to the "left" in my view).

Getting these fairly tight doubles was I believe down to the sharpness of the star images with the quality frac.  It would not have been as easy with the 8SE or the Dob.  (Although higher mag and resolution help there.)

I finished at 10.50 with a quick look at the glob M53 - only a fuzzy patch (x24, 80) in the not-so-dark sky and with a smallish aperture.

Another satisfying and successful session, with a different mix of equipment!

Doug.

• Like 9

Doug,

Thanks for posting.  Can you tell me the SAO numbers of these doubles.  I have my Altair ED 80 on a SW star discovery mount and much prefer to find by SAO number.  Id like to check these ones out.

Steve

1 hour ago, Trikeflyer said:

Doug,

Thanks for posting.  Can you tell me the SAO numbers of these doubles.  I have my Altair ED 80 on a SW star discovery mount and much prefer to find by SAO number.  Id like to check these ones out.

Steve

Steve -

They are 100160, 100583, and 082293.  I strongly recommend The Cambridge Double Star Atlas - it gives these numbers.  I then put them into the handset and reach the targets.  As I said, if they are not in the HS, I aim for something close, then "hop".

The three I saw are all good to view - close (at different mags), with the fainter member at different orientations - very nice.

I was pleased indeed to see the last two, as my mag only goes to x160 (until I get a focal extender on my birthday!), and I am sure I would not have seen clear splits had I been using the Cat or Dob, since they are not as sharp as the frac. (I can squeeze a bit more mag out of it without the exit pupil getting too small.)

Have fun!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

3 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Steve -

They are 100160, 100583, and 082293.  I strongly recommend The Cambridge Double Star Atlas - it gives these numbers.  I then put them into the handset and reach the targets.  As I said, if they are not in the HS, I aim for something close, then "hop".

The three I saw are all good to view - close (at different mags), with the fainter member at different orientations - very nice.

I was pleased indeed to see the last two, as my mag only goes to x160 (until I get a focal extender on my birthday!), and I am sure I would not have seen clear splits had I been using the Cat or Dob, since they are not as sharp as the frac. (I can squeeze a bit more mag out of it without the exit pupil getting too small.)

Have fun!

Doug.

Thanks Doug,

I agree, I don't even try doubles with the dob because the frac is sharper.  I have a Mak 127 which isn't bad for doubles once its cooled. My weapon of choice though is the frac 80ed is great as it is easy to grab and go and set up on the goto mount. 

I'll look into the Cambridge double star atlas.

Steve

I use SAO numbers most of the time got mine from Eagle Creek.

I use Sissy Haas I have written the numbers in there.

Having a book with them in will be a bonus thanks.

I have just sent for one from Amazon £20 used but in very good condition.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I use SAO numbers most of the time got mine from Eagle Creek.

I use Sissy Haas I have written the numbers in there.

Having a book with them in will be a bonus thanks.

I have just sent for one from Amazon £20 used but in very good condition.

Cheers Paul

Me too😂

• Like 1