Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq5 Synscan motors vs dual axis motors

yes the motors are different (not interchangeable)

If so will it deal with more of a heavy load? Probably the wrong question.  Choice of motors depends on whether you want Synscan, or need the finer motor control of Synscan for astrophotography. If you are worried about the weight of kit after looking at the mount specs, get a bigger mount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perrywarburton said:

Hi I’m just wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference in these? Is there more torque in the synscan motors? If so will it deal with more of a heavy load? 

Hi Perry,

There is a world of difference between the 2 types... the duel axis motors are just 6v DC motors geared to suit the mount and they are controlled by a simple on/off type handset which turns the motors in the desired direction... there is no accurate means of stopping the motors in the right place other than your finger control and visual positioning... they are also quite greedy motors as far as battery use is concerned.

The Synscan motors are 12v Stepper motors and are controlled by an additional driver board (supplied with the upgrade kit) via the provided handset... if you opt for the full goto upgrade then positioning is very accurate and is defined by the goto system once you have performed the necessary alignment sequence.

Of the 2, the Synscan will provide more controlled torque when slewing/tracking, however the loading capability will still be defined largely my the mount itself.

Good luck with whichever you choose to go with.

• Like 1

The dual axis motors are in fact stepper motors, which allow the simple handset to accurately track a target in the RA axis direction in order to keep the target in the same position in the fov. I initially used the dual axis motors with AstroEQ before upgrading to motors better suited to goto.

As mentioned above, there is no goto functionality with the simple handset - a synscan handset and motors are required for this.

A major drawback of the dual axis motors is the painfully slow slewing speed due to the motor gearing - takes an age! That means it is often best to unlock the clutches and point the mount manually before tightening the clutches for final positioning using the simple handset, followed by tracking.

• Like 2

Hi Perry, I have the dual axis motors on an Eq5, I don't use them for imaging, observing only, the only heavy

item I use are my bino viewers, and the motors are fine with them, I think the same motors are used for the

go-to, I would never have that function anyway, so I don't know if it works perfectly well, but it must have a

faster speed for slewing, I just take off the clutches and find my target and then the motors keep the target in

view, the batteries last quite a long time, you can buy them quite cheaply from any of the pound shops. I have had mine for around 6 years and they are always reliable, but if you are thinking of using them for imaging then you really need a bigger mount. 

• Like 1

The synscan motors are better in a lot of respects but there are one or two advantages with the dual axis ones.

The dual axis motors will run off a cheap 5.2V mobile phone battery bank (you need a usb cable, chop off one end and fit the required plug) so making the mount more portable and self contained.

Easy to set up, just do a quick PA and you are ready to go for either visual use or short focal length imaging with a DSLR and camera lens.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1