Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Hello fellow stargazers!

I just upgraded my mount from a motorized Mead LX70 to a Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount. This will be my first go to mount. I’m wondering if any of you use this mount, and if so, how hard is it to learn these types of mounts?

4F38A46D-BD0B-4244-BE91-80745B1C8139.jpeg

• Like 1

By no means do I intend to discourage you, but after hearing quite a load of horror stories, I fear that you might encounter a problem like many have, too! However, I've heard of people that use the AVX and saying it works like a breeze! As for learning how to use GOTO mounts, I'm rather not sure, as I've yet to own one myself; however, I do believe that the AVX is not that much different from your previous LX70– they're both Equatorials, only difference being that the AVX has 2 built-in motors and a GOTO.

Enjoy your AVX,

Leon. 

:) 

2 minutes ago, LR Watanabe said:

By no means do I intend to discourage you, but after hearing quite a load of horror stories, I fear that you might encounter a problem like many have, too! However, I've heard of people that use the AVX and saying it works like a breeze! As for learning how to use GOTO mounts, I'm rather not sure, as I've yet to own one myself; however, I do believe that the AVX is not that much different from your previous LX70– they're both Equatorials, only difference being that the AVX has 2 built-in motors and a GOTO.

Enjoy your AVX,

Leon. 

:) 

Thanks Leon!

i read those stories too, but upon further research I noted that most of the problems were in 2017-18 and it seems that Celestron may have made some fixes since that time. I hope so anyway!🤓

1 minute ago, Greg6498 said:

Thanks Leon!

i read those stories too, but upon further research I noted that most of the problems were in 2017-18 and it seems that Celestron may have made some fixes since that time. I hope so anyway!🤓

Yup! You actually might be right– I was just reading about AVX mounts and after you mentioned the years, I realised that yes, not many people have posted problems about the AVX in '19!

If ever you unfortunately encounter a problem, you should just try asking the shop you bought it from to repair it or give you a new one, OR you could try –in the most extreme cases– asking Celestron for a new one, etc.. I'm really not sure tho.

Have a wonderful day,

Leon.

P.S. The AVX is extremely good looking, isn't it?

• Like 1

I can't stress how important it is to read the manual, Goto mounts rely heavily on polar alignment levelling of the tripod, also unless it is a GPS version, getting the correct date,time,position etc entered into the controller so the computer knows exactly where on earth it is. Don't be discouraged by all the info, goto mounts just need some basic info and alignment before they know where they are with respect to the celestial sphere thats all. One thing is for sure, you can take the shortcut and watch many youtube videos on goto equatorial how too videos, goto equatorial mounts are very similar except for some bells  and whistles they all follow the same rules.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have used the AVX mount for just over a year now and have had no issues with it mechanically.

The reason I purchased it was for the “Goto” function but soon I got discouraged by having to star align whether it be one or two star align then potentially with calibration stars. Then I got frustrated with British Summer Time and what date I had to put in. Then I got frustrated with the date format (month/day/year) but I see your in America so this should be a breeze for you. Then finally, I got frustrated and found the longitude and latitude for my home in Essex, UK which my wife provided to me was actually the location of Wolfsburg, Germany!

But do not let my frustrations frustrate you, these are my shortcomings. Nor do I have any issues with the good people of Wolfsburg, Germany; I just can’t see their sky.

Firstly, read the manual then throw it away and get on YouTube. There are some great and very clear instructional videos on how to star align and also how to use the all star polar alignment (a God send for me as my house is firmly planted North and so I don’t  have a clear view to Polaris).

Second, whilst Goto is convenient, nothing beats knowing your way around the sky with your Mark I eyeball and star hopping. So before you even read the manual (then throw it away), get yourself a decent finderscope and align this with your telescope - the finderscope and your star map are your best friend. These will also help you when you start star aligning to at least know where in the sky the mount has pointed your scope, then how much you need to move it to get on the target.

Third, star aligning isn’t a magic bullet but with practice and knowing which stars are in view at your location it will become a breeze so keep at it.

I use my AVX for observing and also for imaging using either my Celestron 6SE, William Optics Z61 and William Optics Z103. It’s also used for solar and lunar observing and imaging and it handles all aspects very well. It is a good versatile mount and with guiding I have managed exposures up to 10 minutes with nice round stars.

With the counter weight removed, the tripod and mount are easily moveable to your imaging location. I store mine in my garage and weather/time permitting, I carry mine out to the garden each night/day with no issues.

I have upgraded the software by downloading the latest drivers to the handset, again a simple exercise described on YouTube and I have removed the original saddle and installed a new ADM saddle. This stops damage occurring to the dovetail bar on the scope and with the larger knobs ensures good purchase to ensure the scope is well secure.

On the downside it isn’t supported by Eqmod but does support ascom drivers which really helps when imaging and observing should you wish to control your mount using planetarium software like Stellarium.

Overall, it is a sturdy mount and has served me well so far as I continue to learn and observe the night sky. I hope it serves you well too.

John

Ps please do not throw away the manual ;)

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

Hello fellow stargazers!

I just upgraded my mount from a motorized Mead LX70 to a Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount. This will be my first go to mount. I’m wondering if any of you use this mount, and if so, how hard is it to learn these types of mounts?

4F38A46D-BD0B-4244-BE91-80745B1C8139.jpeg

I think was 2015 when I got my AVX for imaging.

most recently, carrying a C8 SCT, 80mm refractor for guiding.

Also used with 8” reflector, although it is less stable once you get to about 7mph winds...... which is all the time here.

keep meaning to try the 80mm refractor, which is probably better suited for the 30lb payload.

Admittedly  now use plate solving rather than GOTO for target selection.

i suits my purposes.

• Like 1

I have used my AVX for imaging since 2014 and find it gives good results with my Ed80 or Ed120. There is the "stiction" issue but it's never been a problem for me. It is also very capable with my C9.25 for planetary imaging. If you are going to use ASPA just make sure you follow all the steps required.

Peter

• Like 1