Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3-2 dec slow motion control stiff

Picked up a 2nd hand EQ3-2. 

Am finding the declination slow motion control really stiff. If I disengage the clutch this dec axis itself is smooth and rotates freely, but the slow motion control is very stiff. 

Im assuming this can be adjusted somehow? I understand the two bolts either side of the little Allen grub screw adjust how tight the worm gear meshes, but even with these fully slackened off the slow motion control is very stiff . Sounds like I need to fully strip it down, clean and regrease?

RA axis is perfect. 

Hi.

Are you overtightening the DEC clutch? It just needs to pinched just enough to engage the drive. Overtightening can make the slow-mo stiff. Try this first.

1 hour ago, eifionglyn said:

I understand the two bolts either side of the little Allen grub screw adjust how tight the worm gear meshes

Not exactly. Those two bolts & the two below them are clamps. The small grub screw is the adjustment.

To loosen the worm, slightly loosen the 4 clamp bolts then turn the grub screw no more than 1/4 turn clockwise & retighten the clamps. Repeat till it turns freely.

When properly adjusted you should be able to turn the DEC worm shaft with finger & thumb without the slow-mo knob.

4 minutes ago, lenscap said:

The second pair of bolts are vertical.

One is above the 10 degree & the other above the 60 degree marks on the DEC scale in your photo.

So they are! Thankyou!

Three dimensions eh, who'd have ever thought to look in the third dimension. Could have looked for hours and not spotted them. Anyway, that seems to have done the trick, I can now twiddle the dec worm shaft with finger and thumb and it feels buttery smooth.

Thanks again,

Eifion

• Thanks 1