SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I get a 10" Dobsonian?

Okay, this is yet to happen, but in one year or so, I'll be fortunate enough to be in the position of being able to spend a whopping 1200$ on one telescope/mount and all  that [removed word].

Like a narrowband filter narrows the light going through the eyepiece, I've narrowed it down to either getting something of your recommendations OR a Sky Watcher 10" Flextube Dobsonian. Since, by that time, I'll already have a HEQ5 and a 150 PDS that'll be used for taking Astrophotos, I thought I might as well get something for visual observations of mostly galaxies (and sometimes nebulae), too. Dobsonians are the best as they offer the most aperture, which is what I've heard from at least 1000 beginner-aimed websites like "What telescope should you choose?" In the end, it all boils down to aperture for DSO visual astronomy, and so my heart is set upon a good Dob under 1200$– a Sky Watcher 10" Flextube.

What do you think of this? A 10" flextube Dob by SW, a company known for making quality products (and some rubbish ones somtimes, too)?

Clear skies,

Leon

Edited by LR Watanabe
Additional info.

The SW is a decent dob but if I was buying one I would go with the Bresser. Optical quality is the same but better fit and finish, an excelkent focuser and best of all proper alt bearings. Does cost more but worth it in my opinion. Available under the Explore Scientific brand in Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Explore-Scientific-FL-DOB1005-01-fl-dob1005-–-01最初ライトソリッドチューブDobsonian、10/dp/B0743JYNNB/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=Bresser+dobsonian&qid=1558183542&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Edited by johninderby

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The SW is a decent dob but if I was buying one I would go with the Bresser. Optical quality is the same but better fit and finish, an excelkent focuser and best of all proper alt bearings. Does cost more but worth it in my opinion. Available under the Explore Scientific brand in Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Explore-Scientific-FL-DOB1005-01-fl-dob1005-–-01最初ライトソリッドチューブDobsonian、10/dp/B0743JYNNB/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=Bresser+dobsonian&qid=1558183542&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Ah, I see. Thanks, John!

Just now, LR Watanabe said:

WAIT WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH, THE BLOODY HELL?

9000 ON A DOBSONIAN? NO THANKS!

sorry if that was disrespectful.  

That must be a mistake on the price. Yes it’s a bit more than the SW but not that much more. Wonder what dealers are charging in Japan?

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-10-dobsonian-telescope.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiLSOvIyl4gIVq5ztCh1QVAHJEAUYAiABEgLapvD_BwE

When I bought my 10" Dobsonian, I wrestled over the choice of different makes too.

The Bresser did appeal with the dual speed focuser and the rings, (which would have made conversion to a big EQ later easier and cheaper).

The Skywatcher flextube appealed because of the more compact size for storing and carrying, and it could also "retract" slightly giving more in-focus travel, enabling a binoviewer to focus without a Barlow.

In the end I bought a GSO deluxe, because it had the dual speed focus, adjustable balance on the ALT, and a proper "lazy susan" az bearing.

I was very pleased with it, very well made and excellent optics.

It's past tense now though, because I've now gone up to a 12 inch flextube goto, and no-way could I contemplate moving a solid 12".... 😲

This Astronomy Gear is a damn slippery slope, so much choice, so much grass that's always greener on the other side of the fence....

• Like 1