Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

I acquired a second hand Coronado PST. The focus knob doesn't seem to have any effect on the image and, although it turns, it feels as if something inside the scope is "slipping".

Is it worth opening up and taking a look to see the focus knob in action?

Is there anywhere that services the PST without sending it outside the UK?

Are there any nasty surprises if I open it up (springs, pressure points etc)?

Seeing as it’s likely out of warranty it can’t hurt to take a look.

The PST uses a 5-sided prism to bounce the light up to the eyepiece. One face should be parallel with the front on the scope, one with the eyepiece. When you’re turning the focuser you’re just screwing the prism holder back and forth within the black box.

The holder isn’t a great design. The prism is “pinched”, if you will, at the slides (like a litter picking claw might pinch some rubbish). It’s not a great way of securing something so it’s not unknown for the prism to slip a little which puts the whole optical alignment out of kilter.

Have a go at unbolting the hex bolts on the side of the black box and see what you find. They might be a bit stiff - I think mine were loctited. It could just be a case of manually adjusting the the prism so it’s facing the correct way in its cradle.

Good luck.

Edited by hunterknox
Add extra detail

Are you using it with a eyepeice or a camera? The pst was made to use with a ep, so there's a few problems accociated with using with a camera..easiest way is by using a barlow

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steenamaroo
      Hi all,
      I've been dabbling for about a year and am having a lot of fun.
      Nothing too serious and I don't have mega expectations but I'm starting to wonder if my images could be sharper and there's something I'm missing.

I'm attaching a picture which is the best 10% of a 3 minute video with 500d 'bolted' straight to the 200p f5 scope. No filters...no barlows...just camera straight on.
      It's sharpened and saturated after the fact so in every way this is the sharpest I can get it.
      I've always had the same issue whether it's with a single shot, stacks of shots, or stacked video.
      Views through the eyepieces (circle-T 12.5/25) are mega sharp!

I'm happy that collimation is very good and it was a remarkably clear night tonight.
      All in all I'd be pretty happy with this image (maybe over exposed a bit...) if the craters with shadows didn't make me want to rub my eyes.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

• By SovietShibe
      Hey there! So if you have a telescope as mentioned in the title, you probably noticed that the focus wheel stops working after a bit.
      Well If you look under the focuser you can see a small metal piece with 4 screws on it. You need a Philips head screwdriver to unscrew these, WARNING there's a lot of superglue(which actually isn't needed at all) so wear gloves!after you've unscrewed
      the metal piece a small black 2 ended piece should fall out. If it didn't fall, take it out. Now place your focusing wheels back without that small piece that fell out and screw everything back in.
      The remaining black piece that fell out should probably be thrown away.
      Now just don't focus out to the max and everything should work just fine!
      I hope this helped(btw I'm new here so i might've butchered the terminology) *just let me know
    • By Karan05
      Hi i own Celestron 130EQ which comes with 20mm erect EP and 10mm EP.... i bought a GSO ED 3x Barlow... The focus is not very sharp while using Barlow... Is it the EP at fault ???? Is it worth upgrading to Kelner or a Plossl ???? 
    • By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi,
      I bought some Williams Optics Binoviewers. They appear very nice quality but I cannot achieve foucus with them on a 5" Celestron Newtonian, FL = 650MM fr = f5. 
      I have not used binoviwers before today and I bought them primarily for my new telescope which hasn't arrived yet, a Celestron 9.25 CST. 

I wanted to try the binoviwers out on the 5" today but could not achieve focus. I also tried using the 1.5 x Barlow that came with them.
      Is there a reason they won't focus? Do you think they will be OK on my bigger scope?
      Thanks. 
    • By Abhinav
      Can I reach focus with a DSLR and a focal reducer like with a barlow because my telescope does not have enough inward focus .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.