Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier 13

Jkulin

I have never been happy with my previous captures and processing of Messier 13, I'm rather pleased this time as it is a major improvement on my previous attempts, I'm particularly pleased with the star colours

M13_170519b.png.3a7e2d4aecfb376dce08240e63822644.png

Capture Details: -

G2V Colour procedure

22 x 300s L
11 x 348s R
11 x 300s G
11 x 399s B

Altair 10" RC Truss
Moravian G2-8200 MkII
Chroma Filters
iOptron 120EC
Lodestar x2
Celestron OAG

Guiding was poor as it was windy and I am just waiting for an update for an improved firmware.

This is from Wiki: - M13 is about 145 light-years in diameter, and it is composed of several hundred thousand stars, the brightest of which is a red giant, the variable star V11, with an apparent visual magnitude of 11.95. M13 is about 22,200 light-years away from Earth.

It wasn't until 1779 that the single stars in this globular cluster were resolved. Compared to the stars in the neighborhood of the Sun, the stars in M13's stellar population are more than a hundred times denser. They are so densely packed together that they sometimes collide and produce new stars. The newly-formed, young stars, so-called "blue stragglers," are particularly interesting to astronomers.

The Arecibo message of 1974, which contained encoded information about the human race, DNA, atomic numbers, Earth's position and other information, was beamed from the Arecibo Observatory radio telescope towards M13 as an experiment in contacting potential extraterrestrial civilizations in the cluster. The cluster will move through space during the transit time; opinions differ as to whether or not the cluster will be in a position to receive the message by the time it arrives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_13

• Like 25

Absolutely fantastic photo... something I aspire to achieve.

Meanwhile back in Kev's world.....

M13.thumb.jpg.90d14873403f6e68f468758776eee8e6.jpg

Taken with ED80, EOS1300D single 60s exposure

Edited by Kev M
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Absolutely fantastic photo... something I aspire to achieve.

Meanwhile back in Kev's world.....

M13.thumb.jpg.90d14873403f6e68f468758776eee8e6.jpg

Taken with ED80, EOS1300D single 60s exposure

Pretty impressive for an ED80 Kev! And a fine propeller too!

Obviously cropped, zoomed and background darkened, original below.

Although this has been shrunk 50% to keep file size below 1Mb

My first real attempt, so quite happy with it.

m13a.thumb.jpg.fa3bfde9bcd6b7c07676d4d309e0e338.jpg

Edited by Kev M

Thanks for all your likes and kind words, I never expected a globular cluster to look so beautiful, in my early days of Astrophotography I always thought them bland, but then seeing what could be achieved has driven me on to succeed at more 🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks for all your likes and kind words, I never expected a globular cluster to look so beautiful, in my early days of Astrophotography I always thought them bland, but then seeing what could be achieved has driven me on to succeed at more 🙂

Truly inspiring picture , helps me know that my humble attempt can be improved upon and what can actually be achieved with hard work and dedication.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Truly inspiring picture , helps me know that my humble attempt can be improved upon and what can actually be achieved with hard work and dedication.

Kev, this was my first attempt a few years ago, just a little different 🙂: -

image.png.629d40f8b2c9c7aef23f3c6ce36b3693.png

Really lovely that image, John.  The colours are really good.  Good to have the info on the object along with the image too. I had forgotten how large M13 is.  Nice one. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomato said:

I still have a hankering for a truss tube RC....

I'm really quite pleased with my 10" and I was with my 8" as well, it means your guiding has to be really spot on at 2007mm and mine isn't perfect partially because of the wind and partially because iOptron are releasing a new firmware that should help.

Just spending time sorting out my Newt which at F4.9 should allow me to capture more data for the same time, watch the headaches roll in 🙂

Edited by Jkulin
typos
  • Like 1