Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cat's Eye Nebula NGC6543

carastro

Taken at local astro camp on Sunday 12th May (1st quarter Moon)
Decided after processing the first night's data that it was pretty futile doing a 2nd night as I obviously didn't have a long enough focal length for the target, so only did the one night on it.  

Both short and long subs were taken for all filters due to the bright centre.
Ha 11 x 600
Oiii 6 x 600
Plus shorter subs of 30secs for both Ha and Oiii
RGB for stars 150 secs each 5 & 6 of each plus 30secs subs
Atik428EX, Skywatcher ED120 + FR x 0.8
HEQ5
Total imaging time amounts to 3 hours 45 mins

Processing was a real pain as all channels had to have short and long subs taken and combined due to the bright centre (the famous bit - just about got the rough shape of it and that is all).

Combined as HOORGB

spacer.png

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, carastro said:

Taken at local astro camp on Sunday 12th May (1st quarter Moon)
Decided after processing the first night's data that it was pretty futile doing a 2nd night as I obviously didn't have a long enough focal length for the target, so only did the one night on it.  

Both short and long subs were taken for all filters due to the bright centre.
Ha 11 x 600
Oiii 6 x 600
Plus shorter subs of 30secs for both Ha and Oiii
RGB for stars 150 secs each 5 & 6 of each plus 30secs subs
Atik428EX, Skywatcher ED120 + FR x 0.8
HEQ5
Total imaging time amounts to 3 hours 45 mins

Processing was a real pain as all channels had to have short and long subs taken and combined due to the bright centre (the famous bit - just about got the rough shape of it and that is all).

Combined as HOORGB

spacer.png

That’s nice Carole. I did actually image this a few weeks ago in Ha but neglected to post it due to it being pants!

I picked out some outer structure but the middle bit is just too small to resolve at my FL. 

• Like 1

the middle bit is just too small to resolve at my FL. 

Thanks Adam, yes me too.

I thought you said it was rubbish at camp.

Thanks Dave.  Well I decided to give it another go when I got home and had more time and better light.  I would have liked to have had a bit more Ha showing, so might still try to do a new version.  Shows up OK on the Ha only process, but seems to disappeared when added to Oiii.  Funny really as it's normally the other way around, Ha overwhelming Oiii.  The middle bit was really difficult to combine the shorter subs and having to do it in all filters made it a real mission,  

Carole

Edited by carastro