Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Hi all. I have an AVX and a Az Alt mount, and wonder about the home position.

If I want to fit some ADM side by side bars obviously the start position would mean that on the AVX the two index lines are 90 degrees apart.

Will the handset and software recognise this as the home position as long as the clutches are locked?

Cheers. David

Equatorial goto mounts tend to assume the home position is counterweight bar pointing straight down and the telescope pointing at the NCP. Even if you fit a side by side bar the telescope will still be pointing at the NCP, so it won't b a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Equatorial goto mounts tend to assume the home position is counterweight bar pointing straight down and the telescope pointing at the NCP. Even if you fit a side by side bar the telescope will still be pointing at the NCP, so it won't b a problem.

Thanks. This is the item I am considering. See pic. So I can still have counterweight pointing downward, but the other axis will have to be set at 90 degrees to start off?

Screenshot_20190517-185648_Firefox.jpg

23 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Yes. The DEC axis will be rotated 90 degrees but the telescope will still point towards the NCP.

That's excellent thank you!

David

Just set up the mount with the scopes pointing in the right direction before you switch it on. It just takes that as the home position . 20190515_113217.thumb.jpg.460939aa14d5aca4fa21b45e2afad022.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Just set up the mount with the scopes pointing in the right direction before you switch it on. It just takes that as the home position . 20190515_113217.thumb.jpg.460939aa14d5aca4fa21b45e2afad022.jpg

Thanks that picture is handy!! Nice set up!