SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starry Night 8 vs 7

Arpad

Dear all,

I am considering in upgrading to Starry Night Pro Plus 8, does anyone know the detailed differences between Pro Plus 7 and 8?

I find the webpage description vague, they have a new sky calendar, but how is it different to the older one? Also, how is the new deep sky database improved? And it states on their website that stars are available in 3D, have they made all stars available in 3D now? I would also like to know your experiences so far.

Thank you for your help and time!

Dear all,

Let me clarify my question:

On their website (https://www.starrynight.com/starry-night-8-comparison-chart.html) they claim they improved telescope control, my question is how have they improved it?

Also, their deepsky database has been improved, it is now cross-referenced. But how does that improve the database (there will be less missing data for some objects?) compared to the one in Pro Plus 7.

And one last question, how many bugs does the software have, is it as stable as Pro Plus 7 or?

Thank you for your help and time!

Clear skies!

Edited by Arpad

• 7 months later...

I use Starry Night Orion SE 7, with my Celestron SLT Maksutov-Cassegrain because it essentially does the same thing. Go to: 

1. "Telescope Control"
  2. "Configure"
  3. "ASCOM Telescope Chooser" (Choose 'Celestron Telescope Driver') 
  4. "Properties"
  5. "Celestron Setup" and fill out the boxes, with your location information. I use the GPS module; so, I click "GPS," afterwards 
  6. Now, go back to "Telescope Control" and click "Connect" 

Under "Device Manager" & Ports (COM &  LPT), I had to upload a "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" driver for my cable. My computer didn't recognize it either. I also have the apps ASCOM Profile Explorer, ASCOM Diagnostics & Gemini Telescope. I did not have to flash my Nexstar+ handheld controller; however, I downloaded Celestron updates from ASCOM.   

Edited by Science562h