Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Danjc

Have I made a mistake going OSC, a few questions

PS: Speaking of registering R/G/B  or H-a/O-III/whatever: Siril also does a pretty decent job there. I'm super-impressed that carastro can get Photoshop to work for that, in my experience it sucks at that task.

Not sure where you formed that impression, but I don't/can't use Photoshop for registering.  I actually use Astroart for stacking, and Registar for registering and do all my post processing in PS.  I just gave a list of Registering software so as not to force my particular choice on the OP.  

I haven't heard of Siril, but will take a look at it if only for the sake of some-one I have been teaching who can't afford Registar. 

Carole 

Those charts say 1hour for narrow band don't take that literally. 5 to 10 mins max. 

21 hours ago, carastro said:

Not sure where you formed that impression, but I don't/can't use Photoshop for registering. 

Oh, sorry Carole! I just formed an assumption based on your text and the screen shot. Never mind!

Siril is definitely worth a look. It has its quirks, and has misbehaved occasionally for me and for some friends, but it's my go-to among the free programs for stacking. Multiplatform, open source, reasonably performant. User interface takes a bit of getting used to and it does leave intermediate files on your disk with the gay abandon of a bunny fertilizing your yard. Calibration, registration, stacking, and (L)RGB composition are pretty straightforward (in addition to the registration it does among the subs in a stack, it also automatically registers your L, R, G, and B frames.)

Demosaicing Bayer-gridded frames is a bit nonobvious, easy enough once you get it.

Wow, is that a ringing endorsement or what?

• Like 1

I took a look at Siril, it looks a bit too much like Iris where you need a mathematical mind in order to get it to work.   But I will mention it to the person i have been teaching as he is certainly more technical than me.

Carole 

Thanks to all that have given advice it is appreciated, also thanks to @FLO for there great customer service and accepting the 294 back no problems so I could get one of these 😁

55FADC5D-9321-4FBB-9BC2-7F984E6F35BE.thumb.jpeg.d61f724b3e79dd340e14a2f16192626a.jpeg

• Like 2

The ZWO boxes have gone a bit upmarket since I last bought one :)

James

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The ZWO boxes have gone a bit upmarket since I last bought one :)

James

It’s very Apple -esque    

Ooo, we're 183 Buddies! Although you've got total snobbery rights with a Baader Ha filter there, instead of my measly ZWO.

I hope you just enjoy the heck out of the thing. I really like the smaller pixels that let me crop more aggressively without making my images look like Minecraft screenshots.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 20:06, Danjc said:

Thanks to all that have given advice it is appreciated, also thanks to @FLO for there great customer service and accepting the 294 back no problems so I could get one of these 😁

55FADC5D-9321-4FBB-9BC2-7F984E6F35BE.thumb.jpeg.d61f724b3e79dd340e14a2f16192626a.jpeg

Have you set this up yet? I'm curious to know how you've added the 1.25 filter I to your imaging train? 

I'm planning on getting the qhy183m and 1.25 filters but don't quite have enough for a filter wheen yet. 

14 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Have you set this up yet? I'm curious to know how you've added the 1.25 filter I to your imaging train? 

I'm planning on getting the qhy183m and 1.25 filters but don't quite have enough for a filter wheen yet. 

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to have a play yet but it does come with a T2-1.25” adapter that screws in just in front of the sensor although I also have an EFW so will be using that. 

0CE7ECA6-2CD9-463A-A593-DA73A6753B78.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Danjc said:

Double post ignore 🙄

Edited by Danjc

22 minutes ago, Danjc said:

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to have a play yet but it does come with a T2-1.25” adapter that screws in just in front of the sensor although I also have an EFW so will be using that. 

0CE7ECA6-2CD9-463A-A593-DA73A6753B78.jpeg

Thanks. I don't think the qhy183m comes with any adapters though.