Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sinus Iridium

Mike JW

This is the last of my lunar sketches from this week. Sinus Iridium - what a sight it would be to be sitting on the promontory overlooking the larva field below. At this moon phase the many wrinkle ridges are apparent - fascinating to try to follow them across the wide open expanse. The mountains surrounding the sea are complex with tiny valleys, numerous peaks. I love the way some of the peaks light up yet the rest of the mountain lies in the black of the terminator. Just into the terminator I got glimpses of many more peaks soon to be illuminated.  I struggle to get the perspective correct as the lunar surface gets closer to the terminator. That is it for lunar sketching for awhile.  Plenty of artistic licence in this sketch. Mike

1347106482_SinusIridium.thumb.jpg.5584c199ad78609309b4f2a58c0b2d20.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant sketch again Mike, and another good target to choose. (If I'm in the right area, some people refer to this area as the "bay of rainbows" don't they?. - A very grey rainbow!).

• Like 1

Iridium from the latin word iris - meaning rainbows - just looked it up - enjoy the origin of words (iris as in eyes, iridescence........). I wonder why this lunar area was thought to be multi-coloured ?Mike 

Ahh well done Mike! I didn't realize that. I thought it must just be a modern term given to it. Thanks. But yeah I've just done a very quick search to see if I could find out why it was called Mare Iridium and couldn't see anything. Although I suppose the next bay I believe is Mare Imbrium which means "showers" (I've just looked that up too), so maybe they thought rainbows followed showers!??

Is this getting too scientific for most people??

• Thanks 1