Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Lens (DSLR Imaging)

Paul73

Hi Guys

I have a Canon 550 astro modded DSLR with a SW ED72 scope (0xFF) on a EQ5 driven mount. What lens should I buy as an alternative to the scope? 

Budget = Low (probably looking at an eBay special!)

Experience = Very Low

Technical Nouse = Muppet

I purposely haven’t mentioned targets as I am open to ideas.

Thoughts?

Paul 

That depends on what you want to do. The 40mm STM Canon will give you nice widefield views.

If you are looking for really cheap lenses then you might have to consider an M42 lens. The trouble is that you get what you pay for.

Peter

• Like 2

As above, the 40mm STM is very good. I would also consider the standard 18-55mm kit lenses but again the STM versions of this are not so cheap but the normal ones are ok if a bit fiddly to focus.

Old M42 lenses are worth a punt especially the 135 and 200mm ones but I have not been impressed with any of the short focal length versions unless they are for daytime video use only and not AP,  I think the reason is that the figuring of short focal length lenses and the coatings are so much better these days even at the budget end.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Old M42 lenses are worth a punt especially the 135 and 200mm ones but I have not been impressed with any of the short focal length versions unless they are for daytime video use only and not AP,  I think the reason is that the figuring of short focal length lenses and the coatings are so much better these days even at the budget end.

Alan

That answers the M42 question. Thank you Alan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I’ve seen a few eBay M42 lenses. I had discounted them as unlikely to be up to scratch. Am I doing them a disservice?

Paul

These lenses are always a punt so if they are cheap then worth a go, I spent over £100 to get hold of a radioactive 50mm Takuma lens and it was awful for AP but a gem for use shooting video, it adds some magic to the image somehow..

If you do pick up an M42 lens (look in charity shops too) you will need an adapter, put "EOS to M42 infinity focus adapter" in the search bar.

Alan

P.S. Look on MPB photographic for used canon lenses, there are often some bargains....

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1