SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gassendi Crater . . . . Again

Lurcher

I couldn't resist making the most of what could be the last clear sky for a while. Also, I'd been searching on-line to see if I could find any original sketches produced by Sir Patrick Moore. Sadly I wasn't finding any of his work, but I stumbled across a drawing of "Bulliasladus" by Erika Rix, which was just fantastic. I noticed along with other things, she'd used a larger magnification than I tend to so I really wanted to get out and try something around 300x magnification.

Once again I was slightly limited for space in my back garden, and it was too bright when I started to do any alignment using the stars so I set the scope onto auto tracking which seemed to help a little although I was once again forced to continually move the scope to keep the view in the eyepiece. I ended up using 440x magnification and started drawing the Gassendi Crater, which again I have already drawn, but at least this time I recognized it and remembered I had already drawn it; so I'm getting better!

Anyway enough waffle. Here's the sketch done at the telescope. A bit rough and ready as always with me, but I was pleased that I did manage to capture more detail than in my first attempt again.

Clear skies everyone. (And please do search for Bulliasladus - Erika Rix if you've got time. And if anyone knows where you can see details of Patrick Moor's drawings please let me know). Thanks!

ScanItem-010.bmp.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, what a great sketch of this popular lunar observation target! Apart from the eobderful details of the crater floor and rim, I like your style to show a copy of your whole spiral book!

Well done!

Achim

• Thanks 1

Just love the sketch. Real skill in the way you capture the essence of the area and the detail. You capture the roughness of the mountains far better than I do with my technique. I suspect the rougher grade cartridge paper helps as well. I use photocopy paper. Seeing was good on that night and don't you just love it when the moon can take x 400.  Excellent work. Mike

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, acr_astro said:

I like your style to show a copy of your whole spiral book!

Ha haa! Thanks Achim. Somebody on here, and I wish I could remember who, just happened to mention they preferred the image showing the whole page or something along those lines, so I always do it like that now! I suppose it shows the sketch in scale with the size of the A5 pad. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Seeing was good on that night and don't you just love it when the moon can take x 400.

Thanks for your kind comments Mike. Yeah this is where I'm a bit naive really, as I just went out wanting to increase the magnification a little, and just ended up with over 400x magnification as it worked. But you're right I really should have made more of that at the time. It's a bit like the night a friend and I saw Clavius through the scope and we both thought it looked great, but only my friend really remembered how great it was, and now I need to go back for a second time to really appreciate it!

Thanks for your comments!

18 hours ago, mark81 said:

Fantastic drawing! Love the detailed shading 

Thank you Mark. I can't wait to get out again. It already feels like it's been quite a while.

Thanks again for your kind and positive comment.

• Like 1